Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back-up Routine. Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damputer

MIS
Dec 19, 2003
CA
As nice as it would be to have someone email me a script, that's not hwat I am looking for. Here it is.
We have MS SBS2000, with exchange & ISA enabled. No SQL, xppro ws.
Can I backup my exchange stores(complete and brick level-15 users), isa server config, system state, and data files using ntbackup. (I mean complete backup, as in ability to restore if necessary, all from the command line.)
On the sites I have checked, isaserver.org, smallbizserver.net, newsgroups, etc, etc, they all use the mmc at one time or another, I realize this is probably easier, but it is not what I want.
Can this be done using batch fines and scripts.
Here's a summary:
execute backup script, checks if anyone is online, if so, netsends message giving 5 mins to logoff(archaic database proggy), 5mins up, checks again, disconnects any users still on(assume AD batch commands in here), does backup, (5 choices scripted in and set by date -complete, system state, exch store, isa config, data files) next, verifies backup(easy switch), xfer's files to storage computer onsite, then ftp's to bosses house(batch & text file scripted already) does a file compare of both originals, those copied to inhouse storage, and those that are ftp'd to boss(Script with simple file listing and size, then fc files, if all same ok.(done)) if not, email me(done).
Everything ok, and transferred fine, then delete original backup files, email self and boss with backup log(done).

I know, may be somewhat eccentric, but, you ever have a pet project.(something you just want to do).

We do not use a tape backup, the data files are 200mb, and the boss prefers to burn them and keep a copy of each day. Incremental is not an option for him, (his choice).

Any constructive thoughts? I would be more than willing to answer any questions on this, and sorry about the length.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back