Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

back up maintenance plan not running 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

raniweb

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
US
Hello,
I have a Windows 2000 server with SQL server 2000 on it and for some reason the backup maintenance plan for some of my databases is not running. I have two different backup plans for a set of databases, one is an hourly backup and the other is a daily backup. The last successful backup that ran was the daily backup that runs at night. It seems the hourly one is not running. When I check my db properties it is set to daily backup plan and not the hourly. How do I get this database so that the hourly backup plan is running? Thank you all in advance.

Is the maintenance plan enabled? Use Enterprise Manager, drill down to Management, expand that and click on Jobs. Find your backup maintenance plan and see if it's enabled.

Are there any error messages?
Check the SQL Server Error logs (EM, Under Management, click on SQL Server Logs)
Also, check the Windows Event Viewer logs.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Also check the hard drive space where you are trying to write the backups to (if using the hd). If it is out of space or there is not enough space to hold a backup the maintenance plan will fail.

Also check that the SQL agent service is running on the server. This is what monitors the event task and executes them.

Andy

Andy Baldwin

One thing I ran into last week was that I had a job scheduled and enabled, but it refused to run. When I went searching in the properties, I found that the job's Schedule was *not* enabled. Once I enabled the schedule, it ran fine.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Thank you all for the suggestions. My hard drive that the job pointed the backup to was filling up. I simply removed some extra backups and we are off and running fine again. Thanks again!

Is your maintenance plan creating the backup files with new names each time? If so, (I believe) there is an option in the maintenance plan to 'expire' the file. I don't use a maintenance plan, I write my own backup scripts and create jobs. If you can't do it through the maintenance plan, you might be able to get your sysadmin to write a script that removes the files after xxx number of days.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back