Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

back up exec <bad media>

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmalak

MIS
May 5, 2003
US
Back up exec labeling media for back up as <bad media>, even when a new tape is introduced for media set. Why would it label all media as bad media?

The tape is either not formatted, or formatted for something else. This is normal. Just INVENTORY the tape. That normally solves the <bad media> issue.

-SQLBill

Thanks for the info. I did inventory the tape and it still says <bad media>. Do you have any other suggestions?

Try Label Media (right click on the tape and you should see that option). That will erase the tape along with giving you the ability to give the tape a name.

-SQLBill

Check your event log on the server that has your tape hardware attached to it for any Event ID 7's - or run a cleaning tape through the drive and try again (even if the cleaning light is not on). If you have have ID 7's, check out the Veritas support page (search for 'event id 7') at support.veritas.com.

How old are your device drivers? I had the same problem, I upgraded to the latest HP drivers for my tape drive and now it runs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back