Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

back up data without infecting portable device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleawhale

Technical User
Mar 19, 2009
GB
Hey there kind knowledagable people!

my PC has just started suffering from a particularly nasty virus which has hijacked my anitivirus (panda) and infected it in a way that means it won't work to scan for viruses properly or protect my computer in any other way, even in "safe mode". My first thought is to backup precious data onto a usb hardrive, format hardrives completely, then reinsatall (a hopefully more secure!) operating system. My concern is about pluging in my external hardrive into the infected machine. I do not want to go to all this hassle just for the virus to infect my external hard-drive and consiquently my freshly installed system (and other systems!).

Any ideas as to how I can backup my data without carrying the virus with it would be greatly appreciated!

Ed Jones

Before you reformat everything, you might want to give this a shot:

thread760-1521235
It's a free, downloadable ISO for a bootable disk. I haven't had to use it, but it seems to have helped a lot of folks.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back