Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back/Front - End Database = > installing on every PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diezz

Technical User
Dec 24, 2004
NL
Hello,

If i use a Database Splitter to build a fe/be Database, i would have to make copies (and just copies??) of the FE on every PC?

I've read many FAQs and it says that i'll have to install the FE on every user's PC, but how do i do it? i just copy the file?

Also i don't understant the linking problem, dosen'`t acces do it by itself?

I honestly red alot of FAQs and i can't get my answers, if anoyne can redirect me i'll really appreciate it.

Thanks

Do an advanced search in this forum. I got these that way:
Splitting Access Database
thread181-1187199
Database version update feature.
thread181-931490

i have apps in access with fe/be parts. the be stays on a network drive, which contains the data tables. the fe, is sent as a short cut to every work station that uses it. or, in other words, each work station, has a shortcut to the fe. so, when the front end is changed, the changes will show up on all work stations. but if i copied the fe to every workstation, then i have make the changes to all the instances of fe on the workstations.

Split the database. Move the backend onto the server. Re-link the tables in the frontend from the network backend, using UNC (\\servername\path\database.mdb), NOT mapped drives (K:\path\database.mdb). Place the frontend onto the server. Create a batch file to copy the frontend to the local computer and open it. Distribute the batch file. When you make changes to the frontend, replace the version on the server, but make sure to have the production backend linked.
Having a copy of the frontend on each computer is generally better than opening it simultaneously from the server.

HTH

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

Just to add to Dan's suggestions:

It is generally considered better practice to have the frontend on the local drive as this means forms, reports, code and standing data do not have to be retrieved over the network.

In order to ensure all users are using the correct frontend I have a version table in the backend and one in the frontend. On opening the database a check is performed to ensure the version numbers match.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back