Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back-end Web Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesupport

Programmer
May 18, 2004
US
I'm planning to transport a desktop application to the web. A spin-off of this application has already been put on the web by another programmer. He used ColdFusion with MS SQL, Access, VC, and Java. It is faster than the desktop application.
1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for the internet version if used with .net?
2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL?
3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I already know it can't be used with ColdFusion. 4. If MS Express Advanced will not sufficiently replace SQL, will MySQL do the job better?

Thanks

1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for the internet version if used with .net?

I'd boot Access out of the equation. Performance is a YMMV equation. Both CF and .NET apps perform as well as they are designed and tuned, and neither can lay claim to significant performance gains over the other.

2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL?

There is no difference in the base language. T-SQL is T-SQL. You mention select statements. Yank those out of the code and replace every single one with a stored procedure. You get real performance gains from SQL's cached SP plans. (Not to mention index tuning, yadayadayada.)

3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I already know it can't be used with ColdFusion.

VFP is supported; you have to find the OLEDB provider. Why can't you use it with CF? I've been using that combination for years.

4. If MS Express Advanced will not sufficiently replace SQL, will MySQL do the job better?

MSSQL Express is a serviceable replacement if your data doesn't exceed the corpus restriction (~2GB IIRC) If you need more space and the budget is crunched, MySQL will do if you can tough out the translation, assuming that the developer used a bunch of non-ANSI SQL in his code.

HTH,

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back