Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Back button only refreshes active page does not go back 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnacb

Technical User
Apr 13, 2003
AU
If I have a page open and a go to a new URl and cannot use the back button to go back to the previous/original URL. All it does is keep refreshing the New URL. Sometimes if I double click the back it will take me back to the original URL that I started with.

Is this to do with a setting web page or the browser. If it is the web page can it stopped
Any help appreciated

Click on the down arrow beside the back button and then click one of the "real" previous pages.

Cheers,
Brodie

Thanks brodie

Any idea what causes it to happen? Is it at the server end?

I'm not sure of the mechanics of it, but some web pages highjack the web page history list by returning itself to the top the list at each refresh.

I would like to know the answer as well. Anyone else.....?

Cheers,
Brodie

It has to do with server redirection. The server does not actually hijack the history list. You are returning to a previous page but the previous page is the one that redirected you to your current page. The redirecting page does not necessarily display anything and the redirection happens very quickly.

Is there any way to stop it happening. Some sites it does it and others it does not

Thanks

And another curious thing - I sent and example url to a friend for his opinion, and he reported that it worked fine. I then tried the link again and it worked fine for me as well.

????

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back