Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BAB11 Internal Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dito74

MIS
Aug 18, 2003
US
I'm trying to restore the Arcserve databse from the ful backup onto an other new server. I use the option "Recover Database", the job start scanning the tapes to find the database. My full job takes 4 DLT tapes and started scanning the first tape for the arcserve database without success.
At this point I'm not even sure if I backup the arcserve database at the end of every job, I know there is the option for it and when I go to check if it's enabled, it's totally greyed out: I cannot select it.
Does anyone know why I cannot select that option? Is it true that I need that to successfully restore my database? I'm using a SQL DB, is that the reason? If it is, how can I set up my job so that, if I need to restore my DB, I can do it right from the tapes w/o merging all my 4 tapes (weekly full backup). Merging all tapes takes days and in the test for restoring the Arcserve server I don't have that kind of time.
Please help.

When using SQL server as ARCserve database you cannot use the 'Recover database' utility. Also the 'backup database' option in the job options will be greyed out as you saw.
The ARCserve database is the 'ASDB' database in SQL server.
When installing ARCserver onto a new server WITH SQL server you can backup the asdb 'hot' on the SQL server and restore it 'hot into the new server. When installing ARCserve the setup will then ask you if you want to overwrite the database or not. When you install ARCserve onto a new server WITHOUT SQL server you have to start with an empty database. The default VLDB database can be converted to SQL but not the other way around.

Hope I'm clear

regards

Thank you very much, yes, you have been very clear. So right now I'm thinking that the best solution for me will be to go back to Arcserve integrated database and leave the SQL one alone (use it only when I need to do some old restore), then add the Database backup option to my current job.

Let me ask you something then, what's the advantage to have the DB on SQL rather than Arcserve? This solution looks better to me for emergency purposes. If you loose the all office, it's going to take a long time to restore all servers, right!?
1) rebuild a server, 2) install SQL, 3) install Arcserve, 4) merge the last good tapes 5) restore from there all the other server you need to restore.

One more thing: which tape will the Internal database will be located? I have a loader in the office but in our Business Continuity Plan provider they only have 1 drive and I will have to insert exactly the tape where the DB is located.

Will it be the last one of the full backup? Is there going to be a differential or incremental too? Which order would the tapes be inserted into the drive when I rebuild the server?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back