Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BAB 11 & DLT VS80 very slow only 3.5MB/Min 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conman

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
IE
I have BrightStor Arcserve Backup Version Release 11 for Windows and a Hp Storageworks DLT VS80 it takes 3hrs to backup one gig using BrightStor. I tested it with NTBackup and it only took 7mins to do the same.

Looking in device manager within BAB I can see that the DLT is being picked up correctly but if I look at the 'Details' and 'Cartridge Type' it is listed as a DAT tape, not sure if that should read DLT. Any help much appreciated

Sorry thas on a W2k3 Server...........

Conman,

I had the exact same problem as you with this drive. I was only getting backup speeds of any where from 3-5 MB/min which is extremly slow. To fix the problem, I had to enter the following entry into the windows registry. I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 by the way.

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Computer Associates\Brightstor ARCserve Backup\Base\TapeEngine\DEVICE2

Under this key I had to add a new DWORD Value.
Name= DefaultBlockFactor
Type= REG_DWORD
Data=7

Make the data value HEX and just put in 7 for the value.

Above where I have DEVICE2 in the key, you may have other device folders listed. Just click on each one and look for your drive to show up. I have two tape drives show one is under DEVICE2 and the other under DEVICE1.

Once you make the registry entry you will need to reboot your machine. I did this and my backups went from the 3-5 MB/min to 175-200 MB/min. By default, arcserve backs up data in 1KB block sizes. By making this registry entry and setting the data value = 7, you are telling it to backup in 64 KB block sizes. You can set this data value equal to any value 1-7, each corresponding to a block value (1=1KB, 2=2KB, 3=4KB, 4=8KB, 5=16KB, 6=32KB, 7=64KB). A value of 7 is obviously going to give you maximum results.

I hope this helps your problem. It sure helped mine. Feel free to contact me if you have problems or my directions are confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back