Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]Pentium D dual core enabled yes/no[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

edsfspowa

Technical User
Feb 24, 2006
US
How would I know if dual core was enabled on a Pentium D machine? Is there something in Windows XP pro that would prevent dual core from being utililzed?

I was told to replace hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe..w/ different versions that I have.

[bigglasses]

There's nothing that you should have to do to enable the second core. One Windows XP, at the time that the OS is installed it will detect the second core and start using the multiprocessor HAL.

If you installed Windows XP using a single core CPU and then later switched to a dual core CPU, then the OS will continue to use the uniprocessor HAL. A repair install of Windows XP should fix this. Just make sure that ACPI is enabled in the BIOS before doing the repair install.

So if I ghosted the image that came from a single core machine over to a dual core machine, I will need to do the repair?

Yes.

You don't need to reinstall XP, simply go to device manager, see what PC it detects (standard or multi), select update driver, try to look automatically for the ACPI multiprocessor PC or else choose it manually, restart the PC and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back