Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]installed new hardware recognized but not installed[/b] 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elihu

Technical User
Oct 19, 2005
US
I have installed a replacement cdr-cdrw drive. Win2000 pro in bios and in device manager, recognizes the drive but does
not consider it installed as upon reboot it starts all over
recognizing new hardware and wants to have info (driver) but
it never came with driver just nero suite. its a memorex 52maxx3252j1. It tells me it "could not load installer" which I take it is the driver. it has win cdrom driver but cant find a driver anywhere for this. any suggestions? anyone?? all the hardware settings are correct. I did not unistall the old drive which I never had to do that on harddrives. I replaced the ide cable with a 80 pin rather than leaving the 40 pin being instructed that it would be faster for transferring data. tried to update divers on dvd rom sharing the same ide secondary cable and it too came up with "cant load installer...." hope I can find answers here.
thanks
elihu

elihu,
CD and DVD drives do not need to have drivers installed in Windows, they have firmware built in. Microsoft provides a simple generic driver on the their install CD's.
You also do not need the 80 pin cable, they are meant for HDD that run at ATA 66 or faster. I would suggest that you put the old 40 pin cable back. If you have a DVD drive and it is on the same cable make the DVD master and the CDRW the slave. Don't use CS on cd drives, not all 40 pin cables work with that. If the drive name is recognized correctly in the BIOS and Device MGR you should just see CD drive in My Computer or Explorer. The Nero/Roxio software reads the firmware to find out if the CD/DVD can burn disks.

HTH
Ken

Hey KenB!! thanks and one more question to ya. on the cable
I think the dvd is on the very end and the cdr is in the
middle so dvd will be the master and cdr will be the
slave... correct? thanks again. much time is saved here.
anything about dma that you might know? two days at this!!
thanks again and will do what you say.
elihu

If you are using Master/Slave jumpers the cable position doesn't matter. Only with CS do you have to worry about the end/middle position. Just set the jumpers on the back of the optical drives to M S.
Most newer PATA HDD's run at DMA/ATA 66, 100 or 133, while optical drives max out at DMA/ATA 33. If you pause the final BIOS summary the speed is usually shown there. Older drives usually show up as PIO 1, 2, 3, 4.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back