Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]exchange/outlook 2003 and mailing lists[/b]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdurden68

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
I have a group of users on an exchange 2003 server using outlook 2003. they want a mailing group that is maintained by one person. i know one could be created in outlook and distributed/redistributed to the users, but i was hoping to find a server side solution so it was up to me to control the content. I know how to do it via active directory, but most of the email addresses would be external so that doesn't help me. Ideas?

I know how to do it via active directory, but most of the email addresses would be external so that doesn't help me.

That IS your answer. For the external accounts you simply need to make mail enabled contacts in AD and join them to the distribution group membership.

If you will have a lot of contacts being added or removed, then you may want to delegate the creation of those out.

What I have done for customers in a similar situation is created a web page that an appointed person(s) can enter the email address for the contact. The contact gets created and added to the needed group, all with the user not being assigned admin rights because the coding behind the web page is taking care of that. It is a nice and clean solution provided you restrict access to the page using NT Authentication.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back