Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B/E and MDW crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleUnicorn

Programmer
Mar 16, 2001
US

We are experiencing multiple crashes daily of the data file and the mdw. This seems to be a recent development. Previously - we would have occassional data crashes. Now is it daily

We are using Access 2003 for most front end computes with Windows Server 2003 storing the data. There are a couple of Terminal Servers with windows 2000. There are about 30 users.

The data is compacted and repaired regularly.
What else should we be doing? What could be causing the MDW to crash?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,

How is your access application setup? Do you have security setup properly? Split the application in backend (dataonly) and frontend?

EasyIT

Hi,

The application is split with FE/BE. Most of the F/E computers are using Windows XP and Access 2003. There are a couple of Terminal servers that connect - they have Windows 2000. The B/E is on a Server 2003 computer.

As far as I know, security is set up correctly. Everything was working ok for a while - an occassional crash of the data (B/E).

Thanks

I've had problems with the mdw due to error is the front end (buggy code...). The FE would crash leaving the ldb file of the mdw. Since I have setup good error trapping I could weed out the bugs and as it is now I have no trouble with the mdw file. I have several db's with up to 100 user per db.

Do you have good error logging/trapping?
There are tools available to examine the ldb files (or you can write them yourself). This could point to the source of the problems. if you Google "ldb viewer" or search this forum you will find the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back