Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B.E 8.6 Remote Agent Confusion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phylis

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
GB
Hi

I am relatively new to Backup exec and although i must have read nearly every post on this site regarding remote agents i am still no nearer finding an answer - i hope somebody can help.

Our IT guy at work has just left which means I have recently inherited 2 Dell Poweredge servers:

Server 1 contains a custom made database & 60 users documents etc - this server is the media server.

Server 2 contains ms Exchange 5.5 (60 mailboxes).

In all the software that was left, I have Backup exec 8.6 and the Exchange agent - no sign of the remote agent.

Installed on Server 1 is Backup Exec 8.6 & Exchange agent (both serial numbers show in "about").

When i looked in services on Server 2, Backup exec remote agent is there and it has started - Veritas also shows in Program Files (veritas - backup exec - Rant).

Question:

By having the remote agent running on the remote machine (server 2), does this mean that we own a remote agent? if so can i retrieve the serial to enter into Server 1? or do i have to purchase a new remote agent?

If I do have to purchase a new remote agent do you know where i can buy one from (uk)? & how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance.

I would think the "Remote Agent" being installed on Server2 would indicate you do own a Remote Agent for this server. The only way this could be installed is by entering the Serial#. During the install of Backup Exec you are prompted to enter the Serial#'s. Hopefully you can locate the Serial#. This should be in the box your software came in but you would only need this if you need to reinstall the Remote Agent.

you can look within the keys in Veritas and see what you are licensed for. Go into Vertias and go the Help. Type in license information and it will tell you how to get to this info. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back