Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[b]Dualboot OSX and Win 7 64bit[/b] 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norgermish

Technical User
Sep 1, 2006
US
Hi all,
Don't know if I am out of bounds here but I was wondering if anyone knows if a Mac OSX #-) will dual boot with win 7 64 bit system [love]. I can find ways to do it for mac/windows but just not sure if mac operates on 64 bit tech...? I don't care for Mac but my daughter bought a mac laptop and she keeps asking me questions about it.

In order to quench the questions I should learn the Leopard I guess.[yinyang]
Thanks for help,

I was wondering about this as well... A few days ago I started reading up about whether I could install Windows 7 64-bit into Boot Camp on my 2008 iMac.

Apple don't list it as supporting 64-bit Windows, and reading around, many people had problems booting from the Win 7 DVD, or if they did manage it, couldn't get the audio working.

I took the plunge anyway, following these steps:

1) Wipe the HDD
2) Install Snow Leopard
3) Set up a boot camp partition
4) Install Windows 7
5) Install Boot Camp 3.0 under Windows
6) Update Boot Camp from 3.0 to 3.1

Everything worked perfectly for me, first time, with no problems whatsoever.

The only extra thing I decided to do was to download the NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS driver (v197.16) and install that, a it was newer than the Boot Camp one.

I've been running Windows 7 64-bit for a few days now, and have had no problems whatsoever.

The only decision I have to make now is whether or not to force it to use AHCI or not. I might wait until I've done a full backup first, though!

This, of course, doesn't mean it will work for you... but if my 2008 iMac will support it with no problem, I would have thought that a new Mac laptop would.

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

Thanks BillyRayPreachersSon,
I guess my post wasn't quite clear...I have a windows based laptop and want to add Mac OSX to it.

But thanks for the reply

Thanks BigBadBen,
"Not legally...
The APPLE EULA states that you are not allowed to install OS-X on NON-APPLE hardware..."
I didn't know that, it seems there is a lot of information out there on how to do it. I never thought that it wasn't legal by Apple's standards. I assumed once you buy their OS it can be put anywhere you want. I thought I read somewhere that Apple had done some programming in order to make the new OS able to run PC programs. But I really don't know squat about Apple anyway.

Can this thread be closed?

Do you know anyone who really cares about such things? I don't!
that is why I stated "not Legally"... but what one does is another story... ;)

@Norgermish,

just pointing out the legality of what is about to be done...

if you are going to go ahead and do it, don't go about posting it everywhere...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I'm not sure that asking a question as to whether something is possible or not constitutes 'going about posting it everywhere...'.

Don't you think you're being a bit heavy handed for what was an innocent question?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Snippets & Info:
The Out Atheism Campaign

BRPS,

where did you get that impression from?

"IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THAT" are the key words in that sentence, I don't see that I am being heavy handed with that at all...

and I agree that it was an innocent question, that is why I pointed out that he should not be posting it everywhere ONCE he has gone and done that, to keep him from getting into trouble down the road...

as they always say "Ignorantia juris non excusat"...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Tantum eruditi sunt liberi
gratias vobis ago

Salve sis,

The educated are the free,
Thank you both
Be well,
:)

if you buy an Apple computer you don't have to worry about choosing an operating system. All of Apple's machines ship with the same operating system, and there's only one version. The latest one is OS X Snow Leopard, and it's a "hybrid," meaning parts of it are 64-bit and parts of it are 32-bit."64-Bit

Computing: The Next Big (Confusing) Thing

All Guest machines in Windows Virtual PC can only run as 32-bit operating systems.

Norgermish,

Was that cold water, or Holy water, you just threw on this thread?

Yep I can use Google but...not enough to figure out about Win 7/Apple rules I guess. I do understand Latin terrible memories from my upbringing :-( BTW I am a polyglot, ??????? ????, Español, Deutsch, quod Latin.

Thanks for all the help on the Apple subject. I will just find my way working on the Apple my daughter owns. It's the best way to learn...screw up a computer that belongs to another. She'll forgive me, after all I did help bring her into this world and never made her learn Latin.
???? ????,
????????????

MAC virtual machine will run on vmware (I'm not commenting on legality/ethics of it!) in 64 bit windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back