Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

B&W JPG and TIFF photos print in color!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm using PM 6.5 with Windows, and an HP930c DeskJet. I scanned an old B&W halftone, and then inserted it as both a JPG and TIFF into my publication. I want to print in black ink (to save color ink) but both images are coming out in color (the color ink cartridge is partly empty so the photos are printing in one color. Pagemaker must be trying to do a ''process black.'') The image is definitely black on my monitor screen (and I have selected a ''spot'' black as my color of choice on the color palette). Thanks for any suggestions on a remedy!

Hello,
Have you tried in the print dialog color button to print colors in black setting? This should make everything black and white. Also can try rebuilding your preferences.
PM65 folder/RSRC/usenglsh/pm65.cnf, pm65ppd.cnf and pstyles.cnf. Rebuild these with PageMaker closed. When you restart the prefs will be rebuilt new and will work better.
Good luck
Ikonpro

Thanks, Ikonpro. I'd LIKE to have the option of printing color and b&w photos on the same page -- I can't do this if I tell the printer to print everything black, right? As for ''rebuilding my preferences'', I'm afraid I don't see anything under preferences that would lend itself to making black & white JPGs print in black, not color. Any further suggestions would be most welcome!

Hi,

If you wan't to force a colour picture to print in B&W and other pictures to print in colour and they are on the same page you can only achieve this by saving thepictures in a grey mode in Photoshop or any other programm. Anyway it is better to save a picture in a certain way (B&W or colour) and place them as you like. If you place a colour image and you wan't to have a B&W printout you are storing too much information that is unnessary.

..:)
grillhouse

Thanks, but the image started as B&W and I have saved it as a B&W image (greyscale). And it APPEARS as a B&W image on my PageMaker page. And on my color palette I have SELECTED black as my color for it. Yet when I PRINT it, it comes out all green! (Again, my color cartridge is partly empty -- maybe if it were full, the image would print as a combination of colors equalling ''black''. But what a waste of color ink, huh?)

Hi again,

If you place a greyscale image in pagemaker it is best that you don't attribute a color to it even if you choose black. Choose registration instead, this option leaves the settings of you're original image as they we're set in Photoshop.

That's the only thing that I can think of

hope it helps
..:)
grillhouse

Thanks for your patience! I tried using ''registration'' -- still prints in green. I chose ''PRINT COLORS IN BLACK'' and ''PRINT IN GREYSCALE'' from my print dialog box. I re-scanned the B&W halftone again, trying it as LINE ART and GREYSCALE. I made TIFFS and JPGS of the image. All to no avail. It still prints in green. I give up! This will have to remain one of life's great mysteries.

I'm going to be using a printer who uses a digital image setter. At first I'll be submitting a newsletter with scanned photos inserted. What is the best dpi to scan at and what format (Tiff or JPEG) should I use to save it as? I'm real picky about having the photos come out clear. We've been using the old Velox technology for the past 8 years.

Also - any tips on digital photos would be helpful also. We have a digital camera that will be used eventually.

hey jon!

I had the same problem last week - the problem was indeed that my color cartridge was almost empty, causing my pages (pics AND text) to come out in colors. I replaced it and all is fine now.

I suggest replacing the cartridge, then if the problem isnt corrected, we can go from there and figure out if it's a settings problem.

louie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back