Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AX4-5i on vSphere 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen216

MIS
Jul 13, 2006
US
Hello all,
I am running vSphere 4 Essentials Plus on 3 physical servers, Dell Pe 2950 III w/ dual quad-core procs and 32GB ram.

I recently got a EMC Clariion AX4-5i and have been trying to get this thing working.

I have set it up on 2 hosts so far, one server1 I have it setup with 2 vswitches, iscsia is 172.18.1.101/24 and iscsib is 172.18.2.101/24

On server 2, I have one v switch w/ 2 vmkernal ports, one on 172.18.1.102/24 and 172.18.2.102/24

I have set all nics and switches to support jumbo frames, and set the port binding, as well as adding the nics to the software iscsi adaptor

the san has 2 sp's and are as follows
SPA-0 = 172.18.1.40
SPA-1 = 172.18.2.40
SPB-0 = 172.18.1.41
SPB-1 = 172.18.2.41

STP is disabled on the dedicated cisco switches for the iSCSI networks, and I have 2 physical switches being used

I carved out 2 luns and presented them to the ESX servers.

I can see 4 targets, 3 devices, 8 paths, but 2 are alwayd dead, and 3 stand by and 3 active, every 5 minutes or so they change, and 2 different paths are dead, and 3 different ones have standby etc. this is on both ESX servers

When I try to right click on a disk and 'manage multiptaths' it just sits at loading, and times out.
If I try to add storage, it takes about 5 minutes ot load the list of luns, about 5 minutes to get disk info, and always fails when trying to format it.

On the EMC side, in navisphere express I can see the 2 servers connections, and out of the 4 connections all 4 will be active most of the time, but every few minutes one will go inactive for a few seconds and then go back to active again.

I have read a bunch of stuff every where white papers, manuals etc and just cannot get this to work. Any help anyone here can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had been banging my head agains the wall on this for a week. I think just me posting here, aligned the univcers and allowed the answer to hit me... a eureka moment..lol

I was going through the switch, and noticed that the vlan settings, the netmask was wrong for the iscsi vlans,,, it was set to a /16 netmask,,,

once I changed it, it is all good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back