Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Awfully Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuebie

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
US
I was using windows ME and my comp was just fine until i installed windows XP. now my system is frustrating-ly and incredibly slow when i open up applications. Should i have uninstalled ME first? if so, how do i go about doing that? Thanks in advance! i really and greatly appreciate all the feedback. =)

You should have, but that may not be what is causing the problems. It may be lack of resources. I recommend running Windows XP with an absolute minimum of 256MB RAM and a 1GHz processor. 512 RAM with a good P4 is better.

You can strip the system resources down by setting windows to 'classic' theme (Right-click on desktop > Properties > Themes), adjusting Windows for 'best performance' (under system > Advanced), Turning off system restore (under system), and disabling uneccessary services.

Have a search in Google for "Windows XP" tweaks and it should point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back