Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AWARD BIOS won't change settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryG

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2000
US
I have a PIII 500 on a BE6-II motherboard. When I enter the BIOS screen I cannot move arround to change the settings.

Upon boot I can press the DEL key and the BIOS screen will appear, but that is it. The arrow keys will not work - in fact no key on the entire keyboard will work.

I even tried changing keyboards and when I connected the second keyboard I could not even get into the BIOS screen by pressing the DEL key.

Please help

Try flashing the CMOS using either the jumpers or DIP switches, depending on your motherboard. Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Try draining your BIOS. I just ran into that problem at work on a Dell. I couldn't find the drain jumper so I just removed the battery for about 15 minutes. Make sure you record any non-default BIOS settings. Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

Nate Gagne

It would not accept a flash with the dip switches. No matter what I did all I got was a no-boot.

smitee

I checked out the link, has good info but none worked for me

Don Swayser
Tried it and it did not work. Tried both the jumper on the mobo and removing the battery

TO ALL
I finally did get it working. Not fully shure what I did to fix it, but the last thing I did was to remove all power from the mobo (remove power supply cable and battery) and then remove and re seat the processor (it is a slot 1 PIII). When I plugged everything back in it came up and I could set everything in CMOS and all was well.

Thanks for you assistance, it is appreciated.

JerryG

Since when can you "flash" a BIOS by changing DIP switches?? (or any other kind of jumper for that matter) It's not flashing the BIOS, it's called CLEARING IT.

Why don't you actually go to AWARD's website, download the right BIOS upgrade AND flash program, and install it properly - assuming that's the problem.

Maybe it's just like every other picky AWARD BIOS - it doens't like you holding down the DEL key on boot...try just tapping it a time or two. At least 45 out of the past 50 AWARD's I've worked on in the past 3months have had the same thing happen. It just wants you to tap the del key on boot, and then it'll let you in and be able to use your keyboard.

jschrie@hotmail.com

Sorry - wrong choice of words. I meant clear, not flash. What about "flash clear"! :) Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back