Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVSync Manager problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcw

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
GB
I have seen this problem in newsgroups before, but with no successful solutions, and I've been right through McAfee support options to no avail:

I have a win 2K pro system with VirusScan 5.21.1 installed and the latest superDAT. The problem is that the AVSync Manager will not start at boot or by manually trying to start the service, and as a result, VirusShield will not operate. I get an error in the application log "AVSynMgr error: 126, VirusScan has been stopped due to a missing or outdated Avsynch.dll library. Please reinstall the product." and an error "The AVSync Manager service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found." in the system log, and if you try and start the vshwin32.exe manually, you get an error "Could not get scan options".
I have tried complete uninstalls (manual and automatic), reinstalls with admin privaledges and as administrator, updated windows and other software, but the same problem still exists. I can't recall exactly when the problem started, but I do have IIS 5 running so I don't know if this could have an impact. Anyways, any clues or enlightenment would be very much appreciated as I'm at a dead loss.
Thanks.

This problem JUST started. Virus Scan will run fine after windows starts but if the Avsynmgr.exe is auto started while booting the error mentioned pops up. The ONLY thing that I installed was the new Army game and it would not work as you need an Nvda card so I uninstalled. However the problem arose before I uninstalled it but after I installed it.

Regedithel,

Might have been caused by the new Army game. Can you tell us anything from the event logs? Also, what version are you talking about here?

AVChap

I've got the same problem here, tried everything that jpcw did aswell, i'm running

McAfee v5.21
sdat4215.exe
Windows 2000 Professional SP2
-------------------------------------------------------
Error Messages are :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 02/08/2002
Time: 16:57:40
User: N/A
Description:
The AVSync Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.
----------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: AVSynMgr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 02/08/2002
Time: 16:57:40
User: N/A
Computer: MICHAEL
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( AVSynMgr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: AVSynMgr error: 126, VirusScan has been stopped due to a missing or outdated Avsynch.dll library. Please reinstall the product..
-----------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone shed some light on this one??
Thanks
FlaT

I was having this problem on my kids 98 machine, what I did to get round it was .... In the registry I moved the entry for McAfeeVirusScanService in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices- to the run key in the same path. This has fixed my problem

I tried Myates61 fix and it worked. I am running Win98SE with McAfee 4.5.1. Good luck

In regedit you have to add a new string value to the following path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Name it

McAffeVirusScanService

the value or path should be set to

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe

Once this is created you must remove the string that is causing the problem. This can be found in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

There will be a key that is the same as the one you have just created in the "run" part.

Deleting this value should solve the problem.

How i result this problem in a WIN2000 ?

I beleive it is related to the .Net Framework. Seemed to coincide with its installation for me. I uninstalled the framework and worked again. Reinstalled framework and failed again.

I don't have a handle as to why.

I began experiencing the same issue with Windows 2000 after I installed the Service Pack 3. Could there be any connection or is this just a co-incidence? I tried myates61's fix and it worked on 98, thank buddy!

Chaneg in the services the authorisation to run Avsynmgr Service for your group or person

Had same problem after installing win2k SP3, solved after doing what "I have success" recommends. Could be SP3 also updates de .Net Framework mentioned above.

I have the problem on a win2k computer running .NET framework. How exactly to you change the authorisation to run services (see "I have success")

I'm having the same problem. VirusScan worked fine under Win2000Pro with SP2. Once I installed WIN2KSP3, the "The AVSync Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found" errors appeared on the first reboot and all subsequent reboots.

I have had the same problem but it was before I loaded Service Pack 3 for Windows 2000. So it is not related to the service pack.

I've just had this problem crop up after installing Microsoft's MSXML v4 onto my W98SE machine.

Tried bobmarsh's post above and it fixed it, but beware :
1. Typo in the key name, should be McAfee not McAffe
2. The actual C:\...\avsynmgr.exe path may differ if your original installation put it somewhere else (which mine had !)

AVChap,
Your reinstall suggestion is brilliant. It's so easy to forget the basics when you're in the midst of troubleshooting. I bet your tip will help many others too. By the way, your FAQ about visting the mcafee website for tips and dat updates is equally helpful. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who never think of visting the vendor's site for updated dat files.

I experienced the same problem after installing SP3 for Win2K. As "I have success" pointed I changed the user to Admin in the service properties and now it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back