Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avoid permission inheritance when copy folders / documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

edl0212

Technical User
Aug 17, 2006
ZA
We have set up a generic folder structure to be used as subfolders within each client in our taxonomy. We need to give separate permissions to different subfolders. Once we start using a new client we then want to copy this generic folder structure but keep the permissions intact as per the generic structure. Currently it inherits the permission from the parent (client) folder. Any ideas what I can try to solve the problem?

In looking at the source code for a copy it doesn't look there are any options to suppress inheriting permissions. You would have to develop a customization.

However, you might be able to accomplish what you want using a folder move which doesn't inherit the permissions. When you want to do a copy you could first copy the generic folder structure to it's current folder. Then you could then move this copy to the target folder and rename it appropriately.

I guess you're using a version prior to Livelink 95? I think this is an option in this version. We use 92 and had OpenText develop a custom module for this behavior. It's called xcopy/xmove with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back