Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avira Free: "Your computer is not secure! A Service is not working correctly"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimmy613

Programmer
Feb 14, 2011
US
I installed Avira Free on a new Windows 8.1 computer and began receiving the
‘Your computer is not secure! A Service is not working correctly’
and also see the ‘Fix problem‘ button. I tried following directions I found online to update manually using Fusebundle Generator from Avira's site. But it didn't work. At least the directions I followed didn't yield any useful results.

Any advice, please? Thank you in advance!

Can you tell which service is not working?

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Assuming you restarted the computer to see if it would fix itself?
Is it possible you already have a virus that is preventing function of the Avira? Try ADWCleaner (reboot) followed by ESET online scanner.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Reading some of the results from a search at Google, seems to indicate that this is a recurrent issue with Avira, so my suggestion as a 'fix' would be to use Avast (avast.com) instead.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

No, there's no indication of which service (if any) isn't working.
Yes, I certainly have started the computer a number of times - doesn't help.
It's highly unlikely I have a virus. One of the first things I did after a fresh install of Windows was to install Avira. It started happened nearly immediately.

If you want to stick with Avira, one thing you could do is:
[ol 1]
[li]Uninstall Avira[/li]
[li]Reboot[/li]
[li]Run a cleaning app such as CCleaner[/li]
[li]Reboot[/li]
[li]Reinstall Avira[/li]
[li]See if problem persists.[/li]
[/ol]

Avast is good, and frankly Windows Defender (formerly Microsoft Security Essentials) is a good antivirus for normal home or even small business use as well. With that, another note is it could be a conflict between Windows Defender and Avira.

Have you looked through the system services to see if perhaps a normal service has been disabled for some reason? For instance, you could look to see if Security Center is running. That one usually throws up flags in security programs if disabled.

Other than trying the above or some other AV program, you could try an online scan just to make sure it's not a virus as well:
One example (there are many possibilities):

And another check you could do is to install and scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

kjv1611 - Another poster copying my post!! Are we not fully reading earlier posts????

I've switched off MalwareBytes and gone to ADWCleaner (now owned by MalwareBytes oddly enough).

One other thing to consider is;

This message;

May well be an 'upsell' tactic to convince the user that there actually is a genuine problem that requires one to purchase the "Pro" version in order to solve or 'cure' it. This is the tactic used by the fake tools vendors, where the 'scanner' provides a fictitious list of "problems detected" and then tells you that these can be 'fixed' for only $49.95 to 'upgrade'.

Avira may have latched on to this and while they do not offer the upgrade immediately may be hoping that the frequent repetition does drive people to purchase the upgrade rather than persevere with a [probably] non-existent problem. No that's not me being cynical because it does happen. Godaddy have adopted a similar tactic where you have to contact their "support team" simply to transfer to another registrar.

Chris.

>Another poster copying my post!! Are we not fully reading earlier posts????

Wait til you see that the OP cross-posted to the site below:

Shimmy613: It's against site policy to cross-post without at least linking to the posts you've made in other sites. It's a waste of time for the people donating their time to help you, who don't have the benefit of seeing all that was suggested and what you already tried. See here if you need an explanation why.

The reason I posted here is because it didn't seem I was getting any useful answers there. I wasn't aware of Tek-Tips site policy about cross-posting. My apologies. (And thank you, Guitarzan, for cross-linking it.)

I'm just messing with kjv1611.

LOL - it's funny - I just pulled up a search for the various online scanners, and Eset was the one I picked. But good to know - didn't know Malwarebytes now owned ADWCleaner. I've only used that one probably once or twice. [smile]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I'm just messing with kjv1611.

[thumbsup2][bigsmile]
As you may guess from our respective signatures there is a topic on which I would love to do just that very thing :)

Chris.

Yeah, I know, you want to discuss the weather in Peru [wink]

Something like that :)

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back