Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG Internet Security 8.0 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarzan

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US

AVG Internet Security 8.0 Released

AVG Technologies (formerly Grisoft) has released version 8.0 of its security suite, AVG Internet Security. The suite includes AVG's flagship antivirus product as well as spyware protection, personal firewall, antispam, and protection against malicious Web sites.

According to Karel Obluk, CTO of AVG Technologies and the chief architect behind AVG 8.0, the suite offers "solid, reliable protection against … sophisticated web-borne threats that can infect computers without the user even needing to click a link".

This new version fully incorporates the LinkScanner Pro Web-exploit protection technology obtained through AVG's acquisition of Exploit Prevention Labs last year. Dubbed "safe search and surf," this technology analyzes sites in real time and reports any exploits (malicious code attacks) that it finds. It also pre-scans search results from the Google, Yahoo!, or MSN search portals to help users avoid ever visiting dangerous sites.

In this version, virus and spyware engines are completely integrated into a seamless whole that scans significantly faster. In addition, the product can take advantage of multicore processors to further enhance performance. According to AVG's Global Security Strategist Larry Bridwell, the scanner's emulator technology now allows it to detect more types of malware variants and to dig deeper into archives and packed files.

The suite's historically clunky user interface has taken flak in the past; version 8 has a completely redesigned and streamlined UI. The new UI aims to put all important features at the user's fingertips while leaving more technical details available to those who can make use of them.

AVG Internet Security 8.0 is available immediately from and from major retailers. A one-year subscription costs $54.99; $79.99 gets a two-year license. It's compatible with Windows versions from 98 to Vista, including 64-bit versions. PC Magazine will run a full review as soon as we've finished evaluating the product.

I notice there is no mention of a 'Free' version on the web site. As of last week.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
Playing the blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse.

Seems that 8.0 is an unfinished product IMHO. There are a lot of bugs, though one was fixed last night. Right now I can't control scanning schedules from the admin tool on the network version. And now Grisoft has that annoying pop-up in the task tray on every little action. Is there a way to turn that off. Anti-virus should be never seen unless really needed. They seem to be going the wrong way on that concept.

And, no, there is no free 8.0 yet.

An AVG Free forum moderator has confirmed that AVG 8 FREE will be released today!

Steve: N.M.N.F.
Playing the blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse.

with the addition of the adware module to Version 8 i am going to test it against my current adware removal software (been getting doggy since the last update) to see it i can just use Version 8 for both AV & anti-adware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back