Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG Antivirus Version 8 FREE Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
I have just been on the AVG Forum, and noticed the quick disappearance of several posts which were doubting the Moderators message regarding UnInstalling version & prior to Installing Version 8.

This begs some questions.
1. Is this because version 8 will detect if its on a network when clean installed, and they don't want users circumventing that.

2. Why do the people who run the AVG Free forum always insist that they don't work for AVG, but some message are posted by 'AVG Team member' and they seem to have moderator status.

3. Why is forum membership dependent on having 'registered your copy of AVG Free.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
Playing the blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse.

i downloaded 8 and followed the prompts for it to uninstall 7.5 - -BAD MOVE.

at least for my experience, it hosed my machine until i had to manually un-install both and clean up the registry and files.

i should have known better, it's always a safer bet to un-install yourself before installing a major new version.

don't know about the Forum message, i have not had time to check them today.

my results from the above post were entirely differnt installing V8 on my other PC.

on the first machine i saved the file to my HD and installed it.

on the second machine i chose to RUN it instead of save it and it went very smoothly.

I just put AVG free 8.0 on my computer and about 50% of the time it chooses to ignore my command to shut down (START/SHUTDOWN).
This was an occasional problem in the past with AVG free 7.5 but it is really worse now. [Operating System is XP Pro SP-2 (build 2600]

I have to wonder if the anti-virus program is the culprit?
Apparently, Grisoft will not entertain questions regarding issues with the FREE AVG edition... What a good way to sell the upgraded progran, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back