Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG Anti-Malware Network Edition CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staafke

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2006
BE
I've always used the free edition, and one of the main advantages for me was the fact that the AV didn't need a lot of resources.
That all changed a while back when we purchased an Anti-Malware Network Edition 7.5 License at our firm... I now have the avgrssvc.exe 3 times running, using a total of 100+MB ram! When opening a program one of the services starts using a lot of CPU resources, sometimes between 50 and 80% of it. The older pc's in the firm can't handle all that CPU violence and become extremely slow. Although they are al P4's with at least 256mb of ram... I've tried googling for solutions but didn't find any. I hope some of you might suggest some solutions? I'm very grateful in advance!

We've contacted Grisoft and they're aware of the problem. Issue will be fixed soon in the next update.

Staafke

They've been saying that for a while now. Most of our computers have been cured of it. Most. The rest required a reinstall first.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

And how did you cure them then?

Well we initially (about 2-3 months ago) had machines sporadically max out the CPU due to the AVG processes. We let them know and they said that updates would fix it. A reinstall temporarily fixed it, then it would come back perhaps a week later.

They gave us a fresh config file for the AVG network server, stating that there was a config corruption. The problem still continued. Most of them are ok now after some reinstalls and the later updates, a couple still have issues and AVG crashes out.

We didn't really do too much ourselves.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

So would you state that this edition is a load of cr*p?

Well until this problem it has been really reliable and effective. Now that the problem is starting to disappear, I'm fairly happy with it again.

If the problem had continued for much longer, I would have been forced to switch us over to another provider.

The problems described here do not sound normal, and we support thousands of AVG customers each month via phone, email, etc.

I have personally observed the resident engine in AVG AM/IS performing in the manner you have described. Have recent builds resolved this problem for those that have been affect?

Thanks.

Walling Data Systems, Inc
AVG Authorized Distributor

Yup, recent builds don't seem to have the problem.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back