Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVG 8 definition updates VERY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Has anyone noticed in the last two days that updates for AVG Free 8.0 have been slow to non-existent? On different customer PCs and internet connections, I've seen them slow and stop and then fail before the updates could complete.

Can anyone running AVG 8.0 Free do start a manual update and report if it goes quickly and completes?? Thank you!!

It seems to go quicker at different times of the day. My feeling is there's a problem with the AVG update server(s), unless someone at AVG tells me differently!

Something over a week ago, it went all day without being able to finish an update. I noticed this on machines at several different locations.

The AVG forum has many users asking what's going on, but interestingly none of the moderators have responded. Maybe they don't know either! At this moment, it appears to be updating ok, at least from the U.K.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I've never had any problem updating. I'm in western Canada and have my autoupdate set for 3:02 PM PDT. If everyone leaves the update time for the default 3:00 PM then I can see there being problems because of the number of comps using AVG Free 8.0. That's why, no matter what AV I'm using I always move the update time a few minutes away from the default time.

I just forced an update and it downloaded and installed within 90 seconds. I see that there is a program update as well which I'm about to do.

Cheers.

It has been failing for two days on 4 different PCs for me at totally different times of the day. But, I just heard from a customer that said that it succeeded this afternoon.

So, perhaps things are fixed. We'll wait and see.

My updates have been failing quite often. It failed again this morning.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS

Probobly due to lots of people upgrading from 7.5 to 8.0, as support for 7.5 was supposed to end on the 31st August.
Though this hasnt happened!!

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

This is quite a problem. Updates were always very reliable before every time I installed AVG Free 7.5 or 8.0, there was little or no delay in getting fully updated OR regular updates after installation.

I hope this is only a transitional outage with a root cause and not a designed slow-down to coax you to buy the full version.

Is it even happening with the paid version?????

I have found with 8 there is no auto update like 7 you now have to go in each day and check for updates. YES it is very slow.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

^^^^ You are incorrect sir. What good would an anti-virus program be without automatic updates. It most certainly does do automatic updates. The slowness problem is now gone.

As of 09/12 AVG downloads are still running incredibly slow; on an 8. line that routinely does better than 500 kbyte/sec down, 17.9 kbyte/sec is the best so far. That translates to approximately 55 minutes for the version 8 installable (5.some megbyte file).

Steve

No problems here yesterday with 2 different installs at two different sites. Your mileage may vary. Dunno.

Yes it is still slow for me. Also how do you do auto updates in 8 in 7 it worked. Now in 8 I have to right click on the icon and click update.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

To set auto update in 8.0 Free:

-Open AVG
-Double click on Update Manager
-at the bottom of the page, under Update Manager Settings, check "start automatic updates"
-select "at a specific time" and enter the time that you want the update to happen each day.

The update will then happen at that time, or within 2 hours following that time, each day.

Cheers.

assets said:
Now in 8 I have to right click on the icon and click update.
AVG 8 is set to auto-update by default.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that it seems to have a harder time updating than version 7. And I'm thinking that possibly the newer version starts checking too soon - before the LAN driver(s) have been initialized, and internet connection is verified.

Just what it seems like may be the possibility to me.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

@kjv1611

I was having the same problem initially.

I went into tools ->advanced avg options then expanded "schedules" and clicked on "virus database update schedule". In there you can uncheck the box next to "run on computer start-up if task has been missed".

I then set the automatic update to happen at a time when I knew that my computer would be on every day. I've never had a failed update except when AVG messed up their update a couple of months ago.

In the rare instance that my computer is turned off at the time I have the update scheduled for then I manually update AVG once my system has loaded. I try to minimize the number of things happening when on boot up.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back