Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

avg 8.5 serial not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssampier

ISP
Sep 16, 2004
US
Morning all. I have used AVG successfully for many years in an network environment. However an employee received a new pc on Friday. I have a network location for the executable. AVG states this executable is old and no longer support. No problem; I'll get the new one online. I downloaded AVG 8.5 without issue. However, AVG 8.5 network edition would not take my serial number key.

I went to all my workstations and it's the same key. I copied and pasted the key to my network drive; same issue.

Just to try it I download AVG 7.5 network edition; that doesn't work either.

This PC is a Hewlett Packard. It had some encryption/security software. I removed the security software hoping it was conflicting; nope, no cigar.

I did contact support online, but as yet, I haven't heard from them.

My sub is up for renewal next month. If I cannot get this resolved, I may have to switch. That would be a shame, since up to this point I have nothing but glowing reviews.

Version 8.5 is still in Beta, Current versions are 8.0.
If you see 8.5 offered by 3rd party web sites I would be very suspicious indeed.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

8.5 went to public release as of today, so if you got it from AVG.com, your current.

I went to all my workstations and it's the same key.

Are those workstations running version 8.5? I would think that you would have to get a new key from AVG for a new version.

Cheers.

cmeagan656, good point. I was running AVG 8.0.237 on my workstations.

However, as I mentioned trying to download AVG 8 direct from AVG resulting in downloading 8.5 (it forwards). Therefore I couldn't download 8.x.

Second, I tried the key on the older version 7.5 and it didn't work either.

Customer support contacted me today. Apparently, my serial worked fine with 8, but not 8.5. They supplied a new key.

Why the old key didn't work for 7.5 I don't know. It works now and I didn't even have to uninstall FREE AVG.

I will probably renew my sub next month (especially since it's one of the cheaper antivirus solutions).

Thanks all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back