Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Averaging on a calculated formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradW

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2000
US
Good morning,

I have a report which details response times for emergency workers. Each incident is grouped by incident number and one or more responding units are contained in the group. I have a formula that calculates the response time for each unit. I then have a formula that displays the fastest response time (first unit on scene). I would then like to average the fastest response time for each incident to show an overall average response time. However, Crystal will not let me average on a calculated value. Can anyone provide a work around to this so I can do the calculation?

Thanks much in advance for your assistance!

Can you insert (and maybe suppress) summary fields for sum and count of the above fastest response time formula, and then create a formula to find your average - sum/count? - I have had a similar problem and this seemed to work

It's a little hard to tell what might work without seeing the contents of all your formulas, but the following might work.

Create two formulas:

//{@sumcount} to be placed in the group (incident) header or footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar min := min + minimum({@resptime},{table.incidentID});
numbervar counter := counter + 1;
numbervar ave := min/counter;

//{@display} to be placed in the report footer:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar ave;

If this doesn't work, please provide the contents of each formula you are using.

-LB

First, thank you both for the reply. Here are the formulas:

Calculates time difference (located in details section):

Time({IIncidentUnitSummary.IIU_tArrive}-{IIncident.I_tTimeDispatch})

Calculates minimum response time (first on scene) (located in group footer of only group on report):

minimum({@Response Time},{IIncident.I_EventNumber})

I think my suggestion should work if you leave the time difference as a number, as in:

{IIncidentUnitSummary.IIU_tArrive}-{IIncident.I_tTimeDispatch}

Then you could convert it to a time value after the average is calculated. See faq767-3543 for a method for converting seconds to time.

If my suggestion doesn't work, please explain what results you get and provide more detail about your report design.

-LB

If you're still there....

Sorry about the delay it has been a really hectic week!

The format of the fields is date/time which may be causing some of the problems. What do you think about converting the date/time format to a number and then do the average and then convert back to a date/time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back