Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Averaging is rounding but don't want it to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieC

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
US
I am trying to get an average of some fields and instead of 48.85 it's returning 48.

How can I fix this?

if you are dumping the value into a table, make sure the table isn't an 'int'. Other than that, you'll have to be more specific. Give me details.

An average of integers is an integer unless you convert them to another numeric datatype that allows decimals. ESquared showed one way. Converting to DECIMAL(4,2) should work also.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks ESquared. Your suggestion worked. I had tried something similar to that with the float but the syntax must have been wrong because it didn't work.

I had already tried converting it to a decimal but I got an error message that said:

Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric.

Thanks for everyone's help.

With the error, you probably didn't make your DECIMAL precision and scale large enough.

For the future, remember the first number is ALL the digits, and the second number is the amount of digits to the right of the decimal point.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Precision can be very misleading with decima. Float is probably a better way to go to maintain the best final precision, even if converting to decimal at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back