Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Training 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jraykc

MIS
Dec 21, 2007
US
Does anyone know of any online or self training for Avaya Communication Manager?

I've spent hours and hours trying to find answers to problems but Avaya doesn't seem to want to give you enough information so you can figure it out yourself.

I really don't want to have to ask my company to send me for training anywhere. And I would prefer to stay away from Avaya as I am not a big fan of their culture.

Thanks.

Oh yes. But who has time to spend hours and hours reading their books and still not come up with a fix? I sure don't. I've spent way too much time trying to find answers and have very little to show for it.
I've been in IT for years and have never run across such incomplete, disjointed "documentation".
There has to be a better way.

Listen mate we all just read manuals to fix problems and build up knowledge as we go. Everything you would be taught on a course is available in Docs from avaya support site.

..and if youre not a fan of the Avaya culture I suggest you go and get a job working on Cisco Call Mangler (yes I did mean Mangler), you'll soon be back here though.

Well said Wibbers.

This forum is for Avaya fan's not Avaya bashers.

We all know there's hundreds of manuals, we've all read loads ourselves and we don't complain about it.

The whole point of this forum is that we all help each other becuase you can't read all the manuals or learn every single item on Avaya kit. I've been doing Avaya stuff for 15 years and still learning every day, so as Wibbers said

Go move to the CISCO camp and see how you get on!!!

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

jraykc...do you have a specific problem that we could help you out with?

Avaya is pretty simple once you know the basics, and people on here have helped me with every problem I have asked them about.

Feel free to fire a question our way.

First, thanks matthartt for offering to help. That is what this site (not forum) is about.

jraykc

A lot of people have had to migrate from the network side to the telecomm world. Now a lot us old guys have to learn the servers/network side as the processors has moved from proprietary Avaya processors to servers. So their is a learning curve no matter which side you come from and go to.

The older switches had manuals (about 200 lbs. worth) that came with each version of software. IMO they were laid out nicely, but then came the CD's .I hated them, but it was something new that I was not used to. But I have learned through the years how to get around in them. That’s what you are going to have to learn. It’s all there, its just finding what you are looking for.

Here are a couple of things to look at and something’s to remember when searching for answers on Avaya problems.

At the top of the page is a list of FAQ’s that have been added to for a long time. This FAQ section covers a lot of different things so you are bound to find something there that will help you. Here is just one.

faq690-6418

Also look at the search area that is at the top. This could save you a lot of time on a problem when someone else has posted the resolution to the same thing.

Down load the CD collection for your version of software. Every manual that is out for your version will be included. Look at and spend time with Feature description and Implementation when you are turning up new features. The programming is very detailed in this manual.

Lastly post your questions here tat you can not find answers to and someone will be able to help you. With almost 23,000 Avaya systems users/programmers here, someone will have the “right” answer for you.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

I didn't post my message to "bash" Avaya, I was asking for some assistance in finding answers. If you don't wish to help, then don't.

Thank you very much to the people who offered their help. I really appreciate it. I will post my issues.

Thanks again.

No problem. Feel free to post anytime. Odds are we can point you in the right direction to finding a resolution. I have been working on AT&T, Lucent and now Avaya systems for 23 years now and still learn something new every day it seems.

So we all need a little help every once in a while.

Welcome to the forum.

23 years, wow.... talk about 20hz ringdown tone.... great way to wake up a lineman

Surprise! Most loopback jacks are located conveniently behind the ear and above the leg

Actually a lightening hit Demension 2000 with 20 cabinets was the first i got to work on. ECTS controllers with 3 pairs out to every digital set. Yeah it sucked, but it did teach me to take care of the new system i had installed. The new (at the time anyway) G3R v1. That seems like a long time ago now.

Retired from Avaya. Their website sucks. All else the best in the world. Try Google.com and all your search terms, should take you to the Avaya page MUCH FASTER! than wading through support.avaya, etc.

The "Little Instruction Book" Series is a good place to start.

Description Contains step-by-step instructions for performing everyday administration tasks for your DEFINITY system, and information needed for basic telephone administration. 122 pages.

There are basic, advanced, diagnostic, and call center "little books". Here is the basic:

diagnostic:

Advanced:

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back