Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya training - WTH? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallysworld

Technical User
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Fella's;

I have been on here for YEARS!
I've been to several ACTUAL training classes AND 1 recent online "troubleshooting" class which (as it turns out) was ANOTHER waste of good, hardearned $$$.
We're not a large company (and in fact) may even be called "small". We install 1 or 2 systems per month +/- (on average) to the small/medium size market (however our medium is 150 users...).
I'm 'confident' with voicemail pro.
I HATE the UC Module and all it's references.
The fact that Avaya "Claims" you can take this "troubleshooting" course and then pass their B.S. test is GARBAGE!!!

I install telephones (and all the accoutrements...)
While I do enjoy trying to figure out the networking side of the IPO and all the SIP related nonsense... it IS nonsense!
Where do I go to get SOMEONE to explain... "to get from A to B, you must follow this path"
The courses I have taken have been either the instructor bludgeoning you for not immediately knowing the answer or playing these 'coy' games of "I've got the ridiculous, obscure, answer that you will never come across in the real world... but you have to find it..."

So, yes, I've failed the ACSS test... more than once now... and am struggling with those eternal questions of:
1) Who am I?
2) Why do I LOVE/HATE this system so much?
3) How do I pass this stupid, Godforsaken, essentially B.S., painful test?

Just to head you off at the pass... I've READ alot of the KB!!!

Sorry to those of you that have wasted their time reading all of this and are wondering where the actual question is.

Anyone else or just me?

Wally

1) Your name is Wally. Fish oil aids memory and can slow down the onset of dementia.
2) because you like money or you have dependents who like the proceeds of your endeavours.
3) experience, learning to discount incorrect answers during exams with a combination of experience, knowledge and luck. There's usually a silly answer, an answer that does use an Avaya term but is not the right question and another wrong answer.
Previous acss exams and answers are available for study at around $200 US.
Get all your apss courses done too.

2016: The year death stopped giving a sh*t

Avaya makes those tests after smoking some weed. Colorado has the stuff legalized so that is how the questions come to be.
I install systems for a few decades and the IPO since 2003 and also hate the tests because they have a lot of questions that are more sales related.
There are the answers on the Internet for sale if you struggle with them which makes the whole testing a farce.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I haven't done any training beside the first one I got 12 years ago and an IPOCC camp in 2014.
I've done a lot of tests though since all the web exams used to be free and that kinda helped me figure out what the expected answers are.

I recently redid all IPO sales, design and implement exams and even though I passed them I thought most of the tests were stupid. Design exams being the worst.
I for one will never work with analog trunks, UMS or UC module, and knowing exactly in which sub menu something is placed or knowing the exact name of an example template is kinda pointless. You will still find it whenever you need it.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

I think I got 98% without any study. Not that hard. But as mentioned, the questions were though up by someone high on either weed, crack, meth, smack. Lots of marketing fluff in there.

Just get your head into the mind of the person who set the questions, and the rest will fall into place.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

the 1st question on my ACA exam settled my opinion of Avaya's tests many years ago

ACA for EMEA (European & middle east)

question 1

In the us & Japanese telephone network what is the bandwidth of a T1 connection?

The correct answer for EMEA engineers would be who gives a ****

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

30 years in this field. Avaya is the first manufacturer I have ever worked with that didn't allow an open book test. I can't remember the last time had to go out in the field with out any reference material. The tests are just one more way to generate revenue.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

So true budbyrd

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I was forced to learn the IPO once Nortel performed it's disappearing act. I've worked with Norstar, BCM, Toshiba, Mitel, and Panasonic systems for over 20 years.
The Avaya tests (and their online courses) are, to me anyway, a joke. The last Avaya certification I had was 7.0 release. The company I used to work for signed us up for an online course that allowed us to create a 'virtual video game character' that you would walk around a 'virtual Avaya building'. We had a year to complete all of the modules and then we were given a one shot exam. I missed passing by two answers.
Thankfully with the company I'm with now, I deal exclusively with Panasonic and Status Solutions (nurse call) systems.
I agree that a lot of the questions on the exam either deal with sales, or aren't relevant to assessing your skill level on the product. Frustrating and a waste of time IMO.

Light Travels Faster Than Sound, Which Is Why Some People Appear Bright Until You Hear Them Speak.

Totally agree on the Avaya's bs certification.
I had more bang for my hard earned $ for having the demo kit and beat it to h8ll after
I passed my free Avaya sale certification. For certs, I got more $ for being C*sco certified than Avaya . Granted, all of them certs are game but at least with C*sco, IT people can recognize it , while on Avaya most of them will give you a "huh" look during the job interview. In real life, being C*sco certed do help me tremendously. Knowledge of why crap does not work in VOIP world and being able to talk to them network "xperts", is so valuable , IMHO .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back