Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya to Cisco - some questions from a job-changer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
All - Just posted this on the Avaya pages, and I'm repeating the posting here....

I'll be changing jobs. My current employer uses Avaya, but my new employer is a Cisco shop. Several years ago, I used to administer Cisco and Avaya at previous employer, but the Cisco skills have since atrophied and I would like to get back up to speed. I'm looking for some literature/videos/documentation that will help make the transition somewhat easier. Specifically, I'm looking for literature/videos surrounding:
a) Avaya vs. Cisco Terminology differences (ie. An Avaya VDN is called a Trigger in Cisco)
b) Avaya vs. Cisco Conceptual differences (how a call moves through the system)
c) Cisco How-To's on creating a phone, setting up voicemail, administering Jabber and UCCX.

I've watched some you-tube videos on Cisco calling search spaces and partitions, but I was hoping someone out there has done this and knows of good references.

Thanks much!

People ask that question a lot. I don't really think it gets answered to anyones liking. The systems share features and don't. I am not familiar with Avaya Red but did years on Avaya Blue (Nortel). Honestly the best thing is to just read/watch/take classes for Cisco stuff.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Thanks gnrslash4life. I also used to administer older Nortel systems - Option 61's and Norstars, and I had to do everything via the command line. If I hadn't had someone center me on the concept of loads, I would've been really stuck. It took a while to be moderately proficient at Nortel. Not that it matters anymore since Nortel is dead. Still, there are some legacy systems out there.

The comments on the Avaya page are in agreement with you - Everyone out there is asking for Avaya-to-Cisco information, but there really is no good information out there for it. Essentially, I've been aksing myself questions and then going to the internet and trying to find the answers. I did find some You Tube videos by 4Geeks_Sake which do a nice job with "how-to's" and explaining Cisco stuff in layman's terms. Unfortunately, it doesn't cover everything you might need to know. For anyone interested in Avaya, there are a bunch of You-Tube Videos called PBXHowTo's which do a great job of explaining Avaya vectoring and other concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back