Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya System Manger 8.0 or 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dclark1111

Technical User
Nov 5, 2019
US
I have been playing with standing up SMGR 8.0 and/or 8.1. I have found it difficult to do a data migration as I cannot figure out how to enable the root account. I did a hack just to make sure I could get through the process. To run the data migration you need to be root. It states in the doc that the user can enable root during the deployment of the OVA. I have tried our Flash and htmlv5 version of the Vsphere client and I cannot see that option. We are an Avaya 7.1.3 environment and I read we can use SMGR 8.x with that foot print as we work to bring our environment to 8.0.x (If you know of any pain points, please let me know them).

In short, Does anyone know the magic command to enable root?

For others this is what I did - REMEMBER - this was just in a lab not prod. I would like a better way of doing this.
Stop boot at the grub loader (Hold shift)
edit the boot loader - change ro to rw, delete quiet, add init=/bin/bash then hit ctrl+x to boot. When in bash, type passwd root and enter roots password. Shutdown box from vCenter, start box. Root is enabled.

Thanks!

Type alias at the cli and there's all sorts of commands that run with root privilege the regular admin can do.

Enabling root is only via sdm.

Good job rooting the box. I usually boot off a centos DVD and do a chroot and add myself to sudoers in the wheel group and just sudo bash the next time. Some of the images have a maintenance password when you try single user mode.

Kyle555 - Thanks! But running a data migration tool requires root. Only thing I need root todo.

I can add my user to sudo as well. But I figured there had to be a nicer way.

Also, the method I used isn't quite the same as adding single to the end of the line of grub. It seems to work for both 8.0 and 8.1. Might save a bit of time, if you want to give it a try.

I haven't worked on SMGR 8 yet but have done SMGR 7 more then a few times. And each time it was this:

$ cd /swlibrary/
$ upgradeSMGR /swlibrary/datamigration-146.bin -m -v

Thanks! I will give that a try. I was running datamigration as just the bin file and not using upgradeSMGR options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back