Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya SBCE on VMWare - NIC's and networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraPS

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
GB
Hi,

I am trying to get some more detailed information regarding the NIC's (A1 / B1 / M1 /M2) and the network subnet rules and routing on the SBCE's

We are having multiple SBC's including a few HA pairs

I understand that we need a separate EMS server to manage the servers on a dedicated management VLAN connecting to the SBCs on the M1 interface
so far so good!

I also understand that a physical HA pair in the same rack connect via the M2 interface.
However if the HA pair are geographically split does this mean we do not need the M2 interface,how does this work across VMWare hosts in different locations? Is the the HA - Active/Standby monitoring is done via the EMS and M1 ports?

Also,
A1 - Internal facing (SM)
B1 - External SIP Provider

Do the two interfaces above also need to be on separate networks, each with their own default gateway or can they both be part of the same network.
My guess is that they can't ....I realise that B1 is normally a public facing IP to the provider but in our case the provider sits within our MPLS cloud and hooking in to our network.

Thank for taking the time :)

1 EMS can manage many SBCs - single or pairs.

HA pairs can be Geo split.

Regardless, they all have mgmt interfaces and SBC1 and 2 stay in sync over it.

Your spanning VLANs regardless. A HA pair can simply make either instance assert the A1/B1 interfaces with the same IPs.

Thanks for your reply Kyle, not sure I got an answer to my question

does this mean we do NOT need the M2 interface,how does this work across VMWare hosts in different locations? Is the the HA - Active/Standby monitoring is done via the EMS and M1 ports?

......so are you saying interface M2 is NOT used in a geo split?

Also, A1 / B1 regardless if the SBC is HA or not (I understand active HA assumes the IP addressing that's been configured)
but
Do the two interfaces (A1/B1), need to be on separate networks, with their own default gateway?

Please see attached picture .....is option 1 or 2 applicable?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=12800b36-fbcd-4d50-8b09-2301fb01436b&file=SBCE.PNG
I don't see why your HA SBC is on the same higher line as the EMS...
A1 and B1 can be on the same subnet if you'd like. I believe there's a defgw override for those interfaces.

Re:M2 - I'd have to read the docs to tell you for sure.

About to do the same thing with a geo pair. Was curious how they can share the same IP's if they are in 2 separate data centers via layer 3.

Hi wpetilli

The quick answer is they cant, you need a spanned layer2 network across sites to use HA, The active server will assume the A1/B1 interface IP's.

The other option is have two single SBCE instances and route traffic on a 50/50 (active/active) split ... your SIP provider should be able to do this and if you have SM's at each site you can do this outbound too.

You will have an 'always up' trunk automatically routed, just make sure the pipes are big enough at each site to handle a single site failure

There is also a slight difference in server licensing - 2 x SBCE servers (not 1 x HA pair license)
It's not a great cost implication (pooled channel licenses remain the same from SMGR WebLM)

HA is really just good for HW redundancy on a single pipe in a DC ...stick with split trunks in a geographically diverse set up

That stinks. I shouldn't have been surprised by that. So, you'd have to deploy either 2 H/A pairs, pair in each DC or single in each. We are not doing this for SIP trunking, but for remote workers using Equinox or hardphones. You'd have to leverage DNS I guess to have calls hit the site you want and in the configuration of the phones themselves.

Just to be clear, you are talking about 1 HA server at each location (not 2x HA pairs at each location)

I'm not sure DNS will work configuring HA between the servers - as mentioned you need A1/B1 interfaces (plus M2 heartbeat link) on the same layer2 network

Let me know if you discover another way [thumbsup2]

yea, 1 SBC in location A and 1 SBC in location B.. not 4 servers total. I'm talking about a DNS entry that the phones would hit that would round robin between the B interfaces of each of the SBC's.

ok, so no HA for the servers just 2 x single servers, Yes in that case the DNS option for the phones to route might well work

Putting 2 separate pairs in is probably overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back