Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya SBC 8.1.2 SW and R640 Server Won't Install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTGMI

Vendor
Jun 1, 2006
US
Having install issues with a new Avaya branded R640 ASBCE server - profile 4.

Have verified the checksum on our R8.1.2 SBC ISO file - loading via DVD.

The install starts fine and progresses - THEN- gives an error looking for a file on the DVD - and won't go any farther.

Tried loading it via USB thumb drive and have similar issues. Redownloaded the ISO file - checksum passed - and it is still producing the same issues?

I thought maybe the R640 needed a BIOS update for the R8.1.2 SBC only SW install or maybe a few special changes to system BIOS for the SBC install.

My tech is loading it as a plain SBC only SW load - not on top of AVP ... just the way the customer's original is loaded.

Any ideas would be awesome! Thanks!

Thanks Avaya Guy

Do you think any specific BIOS settings are required?

The Avaya server is R640 - SBC - Profile 4.

Hopefully the BIOS and FW updates will resolve this issue.

So I had this happen before with an hp g8 server trying to load avp onto it. The bios firmware was corrupt and avaya had to replace the server. You should keep that in mind instead of driving yourself nuts trying to get the software to load.

Avayaguy23

The existing BIOS is 2.X and we are trying to step it up to the Avaya bios 4 then 6 then 8 as you sent the link for.

We thought that our 2 bios might have been corrupted so we reloading it and it went on without error. but doesn't like the R4 bios.

Have tried this on (2) new Avaya branded R640s.

Any ideas how to update the bios in light of these issues?

We are burning them on new DVDs ... maybe trying to load them on a 4gb USB drive??

Thanks!

I would suggest opening up a ticket with Avaya. It sounds like the Bios hosed the server completely and needs to be replaced.

I gave 'em hell a few years back for having the SBC documentation say "go to dell's website and do what they say" when it didn't work on a R210

did you run it as "BIOS.exe wipeclean -forcetype" ?

I found my own answer on Dell's forums and told them their procedure of "do what Dell says" didn't work and had them write it up.

Might be worth a shot to try the wipeclean and forcetype thing.

@kyle555 - Avaya has done a poor job with documentation. There's no formal feedback process and I'm not sure if the support engineers have any incentive to submit documentation corrections. Not even sure if they actually use any of the "end customer" documentation Avaya provides or if they use internal documentation. Very disappointing. These are OEM servers and Avaya is adamant about not installing anything but Avaya provided software yet they didn't even have the software in PLDS until I pushed for it.

That's why I linked the doc I made them write.

The support engineers at T3 get dinged for anything they send to T4. It has to be a defect. So, I called it a documentation defect. I had to support a field tech doing it on a change in the middle of the night to upgrade from 7.2.0 to 7.2.2 that needed a new BIOS on R210's and we tried it once, failed, opened a ticket, sent the guy back doing Avaya's suggestion and it failed and it was a big enough account that I could get it escalated to make them write a procedure.

If you want to OEM Dell, good for you, but you can't tell me to call Dell. Proper documentation is Avaya's dirty work as the OEM.

Anyway, hopefully buddy DTGMI can work with this instead of going through our misery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back