Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya PBX / Repartee Questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanz

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2008
GB
I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I find out what kind of Avaya Definity Switch I have? We have the Site administrator software and I can log in the system etc...

2. We're currently on a Repartee (OS2 hosted) voicemail system that we want to replace with a more current version, what kind of hardware in the server do I need to connect to the PBX? I know the current box is using some kind of ISA boards. And does anyone have a source for just purchasing the software, and alternatively, does anyone have voicemail system software they'd recommend over repartee?

3. As I'm the IT admin here at my organization they want me to take over the telephony from our current providers who are extremely tight lipped when it comes to giving us info, so much so that since I've started asking questions related to the management of the system they're insisting we sign a support contract, I've seen a lot of references to the Walt Medak Training on this forum and others, does anyone know of similar training on the east coast?

Any Info is appreciated, Thanks

number 2 is easy
active voice had an upgrade path a couple of years ago
It comes with a new server and is completely installed
You have the coice between windows or linux based

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Well for one, welcome to the Avaya world and to the forum. You can find a world of information here about pretty much anything Avaya/Definity related. Look at the top of the page for the “search” feature and also look through the FAQ sections. One of which Is faq690-6418 A really good starting place for you.

1. To find out the system you have run this command and post the results.

“li con soft”

2. I find it easier to deal with one vendor when you have problems with a system. That being said you may want to look into Avaya Modular messaging. It had a lot of problems in the early stages, but I am hearing it is a fairly stable platform now. That will be my next VM system.

3. I think we are (Avaya systems users/owners) past the point of “0” maintenance. This is even more so the case if your system is on a server platform. But there are several levels of support available to customers depending on their needs. Some places that do not have on-site tech’s may have a 7/24 contract and have Avaya take care of the majority of their needs. Others may have someone very knowledgeable of their system and could use a Maintenance assist program. This is really to keep your maintenance permissions on the systems and have Avaya to turn to for help should you need It.

So your company may want to start with a maintenance agreement with Avaya or a business partner. Then after a few classes and you get more familiar with the systems, go to a lesser agreement to save money. But with no agreement you will not have the level of permissions ( MSP’s) you will need to be able to take care of the system.

As for Walt Medak Training, like you I have heard nothing but good about them. In fact I am sending one of my techs’s to train this year. Start off with the basic admin and then advanced administration. You will still learn in the basic admin and it will have you better prepared for the advanced class.

Last but certainly not least, post for help here. We have a lot of really good people on here that are, I feel some of the best around the world on working on Avaya systems.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

The repartee is good value for money, (half the price of modular messenging). They are extremely reliable.

It uses analogue, digital or ip integration to Avaya switches.

The newer repartee is called the kenesis unified messaging platform it uses ip integration for signalling and analogue integration through dialogic boards for the voice path.

Don't take this as gospel but I think as standard you get 4 ports, unlimited mailboxes, unlimited recording time (dependant on hard drive size and I think you also get one of every license such as text to speech and speech to text ect.

Active voice will supply a Dell server(if you wish)at a significantly discounted price.

The only draw back is if you cant find a dealer that will do maintenence for both your repartee and avaya switch you may have to get two different maintenence contracts.

I take it you're in the states? I don't know who you're local active voice dealer would be. Should you choose active voice and if you are UK based drop me a line and I'll point you in the right direction.

Dave

Hey thanks for all the info guys, I'll be going through that thread "I'm new to Avaya..." today.

Here's the results from the 'li con soft' command:

SOTWARE VERSIONS
SPE_A (nothing under SPE_B)
UPDATE FILE
Creation Date: none
Old Version: none
Old Identifier: none
New Identifier: none
Update State: none in memory

SOFTWARE VERSION
Memory Resident: R011i.02.0.110.4
Mem Card Resident: none
Update Identifier: none

TRANSLATION DATE
Memory Resident: 1:00 am WED JUN 3, 2009
Mem Card Resident: 1:00 am WED JUN 3, 2009

Again, thanks for the info so far. I'm going to put our existing company on retainer for the least amount of hours they'll allow, and I'm going to press corp. to send me to Walt Medak, we'll see, as it's now my responsibility anyway, I'd like to become as competent on the phone systems as I am on our Data Systems.

Looking at this FAQ that was posted yesterday faq690-7201

It looks to me like you have a V11 Si or csi. (One of the others can help if I am wrong here) with a single processor (why nothing shows up in B)If you run the command "newterm" it may show the exact system.

The switch will not be that bad to learn for you. You really need the admin, feature description and implementation and maintenance manuals for your version of switch and software. I'll look for you and post link(s) to them when I find them.

Going forward it will be even easier for you as the newer switches are just servers with Communications Manager software. Even though the system you have is a little older switch, it is a very stable (almost bullet proof) system. The version of software you have is not that out of date compared to some that I still see out there.

Again if you run into trouble or just need a little help, feel free to post your questions here.

This is the link to the main Avaya support page. Everything for your system can be found here.

Maintenance for Definity G3Si volumes 1, 2, 3, 555-233-123

Administration guide (for v10) will be close to what you have.

The administration is very close through all the releases. Just more features and (bells and whistles) as the versions progress. The basic admin is the same.

This one is just everything that falls under V10 (closest I could find to your version)

Should be a good start for you. Some of the others may have the exact document numbers (squirreled away on their shelfs) that they can post for you. But these are very close and should get you through the basic stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back