Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Partner 2 port Mail VS not answering on new line 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeHog

Vendor
Mar 21, 2012
US
Hey guys. I've searched this forum, user guides, installation manuals, and cannot seem to figure out this issue. I'm hoping to get some guidance from you here. I know TouchToneTommy seems to always have an answer, maybe you could give me some ideas. Here's the deal, I've got a customer who has added a new line (L04) and a new extension (20). Line 04 only rings at extension 20. They would like the mailbox at extension 20 to answer than line when it goes unanswered. Seems like a simple fix, but I've just spent all afternoon trying to get this simple thing done. They use an auto attendant for the lines 1 and 2 at night, line 3 is a fax. Here's what I've done:

I've confirmed 28 & 29 are assigned to HG7 in #505

I've set Line04 in GCD #206. Here I tried 1 (assigned) and 3(VMS Line Cover), neither work.

I've set the VMS hunt delay in #506 to two rings

I've set the VMS schedule in #507 to 1 (always)

I've set the VMS Cover rings in #321 to two rings

I've set Auto VMS Cover in #310 to 1 (assing)

I've assigned line ownership of L04 to Ext 20 (I777-99#-Pass-9-6-4-04#20#)

What am I missing? I'm at the point of giving up and just plugging an answering machine in the back of their phone. There are no other voicemail issues, everything else already programmed works just fine. The system is a Partner ACS R5, and the voicemail is Partner Mail VS R5.0 with a 2 port card.

Thanks in advance, I'll try to give more details if needed figure this out.

---EyeHog

I will give that a try. I have messed with #208 and assigned L04 to Ext 20, but I'm pretty sure I've always had L04 set to either 1 (assign) or 3 (VMS Line Cover) in #206. I don't think I've tried it with it set to 2 (unassigned).

Thank you, that may just be the key. I'm going to feel so stupid when that works and I've spent 3 hours trying to get it to work, and a system that I've programmed for 15 years. I guess we all have those days.

---EyeHog

If you use #206-7-{line}-3 VMS Line Cover, you also need to go into the VS Mail's administrator's mailbox, 9 for programming, 6 for Line Ownership, 4 to Assign line ownership, {line}-# for the line to assign, {extension}-# for the extension that will own the line.

If you use #206-7-{line}-2 Not Assigned, then use #208-{line}-{extension} to specify the covering extension

In both cases, be sure that the covering/owning extension has a Auto VMS Coverage turned on. Also, the line must appear on the extension, with either Immediate or Delayed Ring (but NOT No ring)

What's the difference between Ownership and Call Cover? If the line is shared on more than one extension, using Line Ownership allows the owner to use DND and the line will still ring on the other extensions before reaching the owner's mailbox. Using Call Coverage, if the covering extension goes into DND, the line will cover immediately to the covering mailbox, even though it appears on other extensions.

Okay, so I did not realize that there were to distinct ways of doing this, Line Ownership, and Call Cover. I had hoped that maybe because I was trying to do both, it wasn't working. I've gone through and programmed each method separately, and I still cannot get the mailbox at extension 20 to answer line 04. I'm beginning to wonder if something is jacked up with the phone system itself.

---EyeHog

Good gravy on a stick.... I finally got it. I started messing around with sending the call to another extension, still didn't work. Then I started playing around with line 3 (their fax line, that has no incoming calls at all), it worked just fine. I realized that Line 4 is on a separate 206e module, and not on the main processor. Hmmm... Maybe there's something with that processor, and that line, that doesn't send the call properly to voicemail. No idea. Anyway, so I go into line assignment, swap around everyones line 3 and 4, then physically swap lines 3 and 4, set up call coverage for line 3 to extension 20, and bingo, it works. No clue why it didn't work before, i KNOW I had everything programmed correctly, but this is a good work around, and IT WORKS!

Thanks guys

---EyeHog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back