Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya needs an IP Office database conversion tool 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronromano

Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
US
Like on the Magix WinSPM. I have a customer who needs a 406 3.1.48 replaced at I want to put them on 4.1. This would be easier if Avaya had a tool for it.

Why if you do export and import you finished in half a hour......

Greets Peter

?. As I recall, you can't take a database from one level of software and directly load it into a higher level unit.

Both units will be 406 v2

copy and paste. You may have to do it one at a time. i do it for users all the time. Take your old config and open it off line in manager. Then open your new live config and copy a user from the old and paste in the new. Takes a little time but i have not had issues.

copy/paste hahahaha

just do export and import

Go to File then import/export

Export all users and other stuff

then download new config and import users etc

Greets Peter

I don't think you get everything that way but I will look into it.

in 3.2 there were some issues with the export and import. i have not tried in 4.0 or 4.1. The exports would only have the user name and nothing else.

i found if i save the config, upgrade the switch to 3.1.99 then to 4.0 etc,,then open file offine,, and send back to unit, if any faults, works fine

?. As I recall, you can't take a database from one level of software and directly load it into a higher level unit."

So dont then, downgrade the second to match the first, then afterwards upgrade it.

Good bit of lateral thinking there!!! Well Done

ACS - IP Office Implement

Aarenot, that's obvoius. My post is more about doing this in general. why should I have to deal with that? Doen't it make more sence to just have to pull a config convert it and upload it?

What If a customer's system blows up an I have a back up. I think it's crap that I have to stop at some intermediate step in the upgrade process then restore the DB the continue an upgrade. You can't even get the older software on the support site anymore.

I have all the releases here I just think it is a waste of time. Manager should be designed that if I open a 2.1 DB in 4.1 Manager that I should have an option to convert to 4.1 and upload.

Avaya advises to upgrade the IP Office on a regular basis.
Every six monts or so, if you follow this advise you would not need that tool would you?

NIHIL NOVI SUB SOLE

I live in the real world. Have every one of you clients been upgraded in the last 6 months?

I know my answer to that one. No.

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement
CCNA - Working towards.

Avaya advises to upgrade the IP Office on a regular basis." !!!WHO, WHERE, PROVE IT.!!!

Ron, take a 2.1 config, put it on a 4.1 system and relax. New fields get filled with default values. Go the other way and unrecognised fields are ignored. Don't confuse the painful upgrade path of the core firmware with that not needed for the configuration file. Yes sometime you need an experience mind to go over the changed features like LCR to ARS but thats rare (the only previous one I recall was the change in call coverage controls between 2.1 and 3.0).

However to your suggestion of a "this is an x.x" override control in Manager, yes that would be very nice.

Nearest I get (apart from keeping a good libary of configs from all sorts of levels) is to export the config as a .csv. Near the top look for UN_DEVICENO. The line below that is everything you need about the control unit including the software level (major, minor and build). Edit, save and import back into Manager.

If it twas me, I would hook up my new 406 to the customer premise lan and flash it to 3.1.48 using their manager.

Then I would move the "old" config to the "new" 3.1.48 box.

Then I would I would proceed to upgrade their suite of apps to 4.1 and finally the 406.

And I would bill them for every minute.

I personally bill for my time & don't want to make it too easy for clients, IMHO Avaya don't need to make the system any more idiot proof than it already is.

------------------------------------------
Wash, rinse, repeat.

ok, now there is a stupid idea, tell your customer during the bid process for a new system that the cost of ownership includes upgrading the software every quarter when the new release comes out, and by the way, you have to pay a tech for that.
Don't forget that , oh wait a minute those upgrades never cause any issues that require fixing, or work arounds that can add even more to the cost of ownership by having to pay the tech for all their time, and materials, forget I mentioned that one.

Also, would a maint contract from Avaya then have to include all of those upgrades as they become available as well? After all that is maint is it not?

Or better yet, leave the damb release where it is unless you have a feature set you need that is available as the final maint release of the series for a major feature set release. If it is not broke, upgrade it, and it will be, or is that don't fix it?

You do not have to upgrade !
But it is an advice of avaya, that is why you can have the software for free
Be glad that you do not have to pay for upgrading the ipoffice

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back