Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya MPP urgent question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark G

MIS
Aug 16, 2018
US
Hi, I have an Avaya MPP that seems to be out and has an incorrect statement. Is there anyone that may know how to change it? I'd appreciate it more than you know.

Using netstat -r I see:

Kernel IP Routing Table
Destination: Gateway: Genmask: Flags: MSS: Window: Irtt: Iface:
1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1
1.1.1.2 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
1.1.1.3 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
link-local
link-local

The very first destination IP is what needs to change (1.1.1.1 in the example above). I can't seem to find anything that shows how to do so. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

That's very odd. I'd think the web page would have some routing stuff.

Are you trying to change the default route? If you're stuck in deep trouble, root and plain old linux routing stuff will do it until a reboot.

Root and plain old Linux commands worked but only via Root. All is good now. Thanks!

wtf happened?

In my box, that means routes to 1.1.1.1 would go to gateway 2.2.2.2 with genmask 255.255.255.0 and UG 0 0 eth1

You have 1.1.1.1/24 and I'm sure you had/meant 1.1.1.0 cause 1.1.1.1. doesn't make sense

So, if you needed to hit 1.1.1.0/24, you'd try to hit 2.2.2.2 via the interface on eth1

What exactly was wrong? What's your routing table look like now vs before?

I don't install AAEP on the regular, but I figure some initial CLI or web config defines basic routes. I can't see how that would flip on its own. Is it possible you guys changed the gateway out of a subnet once upon a time and some schmuck used IP route in linux to re-point the OS routing table not knowing it wouldn't survive a reboot and a reboot made stuff go sideways?

Does "uptime" in linux match when you started having the problem? :)

So, those IP's were only as an example. The issue was exactly as you suspected. Someone made a change trying to fix something and caused a much bigger issue. They were testing a static route and then said they removed the static route but never did. I had to remove the static route using good old Google to learn the commands. I am not too Linux savvy but it is done and is all back to normal.

Well, if I were you, I'd make sure the thing survives a reboot! Generally, even if you have root and can play in the low levels of Linux, Avaya products have their 'way' of configuring. And if that means you put it in a webpage that saves it in some obscure conf file and on system boot it reads that conf file and writes those parameters everywhere, then if someone did their change via a web page, your fix might revert on next boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back