Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya messaging multiple tse (cse) servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

avayaguy23

Systems Engineer
May 30, 2018
US
I am currently setting up avaya messaging 11.0 with o365 using graphs. The documentation isn’t clear in how tse locations work on the feature group. Each cse server supports 5000 users so do you need to create a feature group for each cse server or can you enter in multiple server names and the system is smart enough to load balance between them?

This is what the documentation says and it isn’t clear: Enter or select the location of the UC TSE Cache Manager. This is only required if your TSE server is different from the UC server (e.g. using a stand alone TSE server).

Haven't done it either, but my understanding was a feature group per CSE server and you manage your user assignment yourself.

wow! If that is truly the case then that is a terrible design for large enterprises. I am looking at a 20k deployment. I am also not enjoying the fact I would need 8 total CSE servers to support the environment (4 active and 4 standby not processing any data). Their design doesn't support automatic failover and would have to be done manually. I have a ticket open with Avaya to verify but at least it sounds like i'm on the right track.

Per Avaya:
It should be one CSE per TSE location per feature group. Distributing the load across multiple CSE servers is done through separate feature groups, by not exceeding the maximum number of mailboxes using the same CSE server. So you would need to divide the users by CSE server. It does not load balance the CSE servers, the feature group will only use the one its assigned.

The failover should be automagic in R11. It changed quite a bit from 10.8 from a failover point of view. I know that to be the case for the backup consolidated and voice servers at DC2. I'd imagine the CSE servers would be part of that.

Nope! If you are connected to O365 for instance it is a manual failover on the remote CSE server. Honestly, I'm not impressed with this product to date. The best part is in order to support 20k users connected to O365 I need 128CPU, 192GB RAM, and 15TB hard drives across 16 servers.....for voicemail......

This is pulled directly from the install guide.
In a High Availability environment, server failover is handled automatically for all voice servers (Primary and all
Secondaries). The Consolidated server can be backed up using native UM HA ability of Avaya Messaging. However,
Remote CSE servers require a different solution.
Apply the following procedure to all of the Remote CSE servers on your system. One additional server is required to be
available as part of the system to take over when an active server fails. This server does not process any traffic, but it
must be active to keep its database and other files current with the rest of the system.
This procedure does not provide automatic, unattended failover as some action is required by the administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back