Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Licence Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossmark76

Technical User
Mar 17, 2010
GB
Hi Guys,

Looking for advice here. I have moved jobs and the new place I'm working at is using 3 licence managers???

1 is part of the system manager and seems to hold the bulk of the licences., used by CM, SBC's etc.
1 is a dedicated licence manager server with only tsapi licences for our IVR application.
1 is a weblm sitting off a aes server used for call recording.

To me this seems absurd managing the 3 separately and have one dedicated server just for one application. Previously to me joining they didn't have anyone who knows Avaya so I think they just let 3rd parties do whatever they wanted.

The SM is a HA setup so I am thinking of moving all the licences onto that but want some opinions on the best way forward?

Any info/thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Welcome to Avaya and it's wonderful ideas about product licensing. Maybe someday they will make it more centralized but for the last few years it at least appears that the more they talk about centralizing it the more dispersed it seems to become.

You could move applications to use the system manager weblm. It all depends on who sets it up and their preference. Having 3 license managers isn't necessarily a bad thing.

You're good. Leave it that way. It's done for a reason.

Some applications, if their WebLM goes down, die immediately. Others go into license error mode. Others are stupid and steal all instances available on WebLM for a feature it serves without regard to other like applications it may need to share with.

AES has the concept of "reserved licenses". If you reserve 0, it needs to ask WebLM for a DMCC or TSAPI license for every call it services thereby making WebLM a critical component of call answering. If you instead calculated your usage to need 100 DMCC+ 200 TSAPI and "reserved" those in AES, then WebLM going down would put those allocations in 30 days grace on AES. If you allocated 0, then license error mode would not let you service your calls.

AAEP is the nastiest of not letting you get "somethin for nothin". If you wanted two data centers each with a EPM+MPPs and each data center with 100 channels licensed but 200 real capacity for data center 1 to cover the whole load if data center 2 goes down (and vice versa), then you'd need a 'master' weblm with the 200 licenses that delegates 100 to a sub or 'local' weblm at data center 1 and again at data center 2 and use each weblm to locally offer 100 channels to each AAEP cluster. This is where you use SMGR as the 'master'. Should DC1 go down, you activate your georedundant system manager to take over the master weblm duties and assign all 200 AAEP channels to the DC2 WebLM feeding the EPM at data center 2.

That's quite the quick explanation, but in short, it was done for a reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back