Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AVAYA J179 phone Windows DHCP Voice VLAN and option

Status
Not open for further replies.

abtt

Technical User
Sep 4, 2020
FR
Hello,

we are moving to IP telephony.
We install J179 phone anf IP office.
In some of the offices, computers and telephones each have their own outlet.
In other offices, we don't have enough sockets so I want to plug the PC and the phone into the same socket

We have vlan for data and vlan for telephony. The DHCP server is Windows. On this server, we have created different scopes. On those dedicated to telephony, we have added option 242.
We have also set up filtering by mac address on the DHCP server. The mac address equipment are well on the scopes.

We also have access-lists on our Cisco switches.
When I plug a phone alone into its dedicated socket, it works.
But when I want to plug a computer and a phone into the same outlet, it doesn't work. The PC gets its Ip and works. But the phone displays "waiting for dhcp"

I have configured the test ports like this when there is only one socket with a pc and a phone.

Switch(config-if)#switchport mode access
Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree portfast
Switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan 230 ( data vlan)
Switch(config-if)#switchport voice vlan 235 ( voice vlan)

All vlans are declared on our core switch, with ip helper address

LLDP is enabled on all the switch.

and as i say when i put a single phone on its port, with only the vlan 235 configured, it works.I get an ip from the good vlan

Something is missing, but I don't know what?

Do you have option 242 configured in the data vlan to tell the phone what VLAN to boot into? the phone will boot to the data vlan first. then 242 will tell it boot to this VLAN. i think it was a string like this

l2Q=1,L2QVLAN-xxx replace xxx with the correct VLAN id for the phones.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Vive Communications

Hello,

I added option 242 on the scope of the VLAN DATA

like this : l2Q=1,L2QVLAN=235 ( 235 = voice vlan)

option 242 on the DHCP for voice vlan is :

TLSSRVR=10.xxx,MCPORT=1719,MCIPADD=10.xxx,L2QVLAN=235,HTTPSRVR=10.xxx,TFTPSRVR=10.xxx,VLANTEST=1

i am not getting ip on the phone. But if I force fixed IP on the phone, it works.

Hi Abtt,

Are you sure the Phone is starting up in VLAN 235? You can see it in the display when the phone is starting i believe. It is also possible that your switch is using LLDP or CDP. This will overrule the DHCP option you have in your Data VLAN scope.

Hi Tavayas,

yes, when the phone booted up i go to setup i can see vlan id and it shows 235 (the correct vlan). But when I look at the IP assigned to it, it is an IP from the vlan 230 subnet, not 235.
LLDP is enabled.

#sh lldp neigbours
CR-XXXX.Gi2/0/49 120 B,R Gi1/0/21
CR-XXXXXX.XXX.Gi1/0/49 120 B,R Gi2/0/21
AVXB3D635 Gi2/0/14 120 B,T c81f.eab3.d635
AVXB3D5FD Gi5/0/2 120 B,T c81f.eab3.d5fd
AVX878B31 Gi3/0/2 120 B,T c81f.ea87.8b31

I can see the 3 avaya phone.

You shouldn't have a L2QVLAN=235 in the option settings of the voice LAN. An L2QVLAN value is basically an instruction to go to another network (its doesn't matter that the phone is already on that right network, it just sees a loops around requesting option values from 235 again and eventually gives up and falls back to that last full set of values it had (those from your data LAN 230).

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Hi abtt,

You can use LLDP (voice VLAN) to put the phones in VLAN 235. Than you don't need to put option 242 in your DHCP scope of the Data VLAN. When you achieve this you can simplify the option 242 in your voice DHCP scope to something like:

TLSSRVR=10.xxx,MCPORT=1719,MCIPADD=10.xxx,HTTPSRVR=10.xxx,TFTPSRVR=10.xxx,VLANTEST=10

Hello,

my configuration on the switches:

#switchport mode access
#switchport access vlan 230
#switchport voice vlan 235

On the windows DHCp scope ( voice ) :

TLSSRVR=10.xxx,MCPORT=1719,MCIPADD=10.xxx,HTTPSRVR=10.xxx,TFTPSRVR=10.xxx,VLANTEST=1

But I don't get an Ip address from the voice vlan, the phone takes an Ip from the DATA vlan. the computer obtains an Ip from DATA vlan.

On the phone, if I turn off DHCp and manually enter an Ip from the voice vlan, it works.

Hi Abtt,

I have used this config in the past and works as you need it i think:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/xx
description ### IP Phone - AVAYA ###
switchport access vlan 230
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate
switchport voice vlan 235
power inline auto
no cdp enable
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable
no shut

Hope this will work for you.

abtt said:
VLANTEST=1

Why is VLANTEST set to 1? It is not a toggle 0 off 1 on it is the number of seconds before the phone gives up on the VLAN you specified... The default value is 60 seconds.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back