Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya J169 SIP phone getting "No Ethernet" on boot up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hebegb41

Technical User
Aug 28, 2008
US

I have new J169 Avaya SIP phones and am trying to add them to my CM 8 system and they are built in the CM and Session Mgr correctly. When I plug the phones in and they boot up, I get to a point where the phone says "No Ethernet" and will not get to the "log In" screen to finish the boot up and connect. It is on a Juniper network L2 which I know nothing about so I'm stuck. Could this be a port issue on the network? the phone right next to this is up and working fine. The phone is getting VLAN and HTTP info correctly but gets stuck on "No Ethernet". Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

Change the port or ask network to take a sniff and see what is going on. When you say it is getting the correct VLAN and HTTP do you mean it is getting to DHCP with option 176 or 242? Does it download the 46xxsettings file? If not network needs to resolve.

sounds like you might be using 802.1x on the switch ports, this allows PoE but unless the device authenticates (or the MAC address is allowed when using MAC bypass) it won't be allowed L2 access.

Thanks guys. Yes, I smell L2 on this for sure. L2 is Juniper and I have virtually no experience there. Cisco I could deal with looking at the ports and configs thereof, shut/no shut etc. But Juniper I have no clue. I have engaged the netwrok guy to take a look but no responses yet. Will post when completed.
Thanks again for insights and suggestions......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back