Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacke

Technical User
Jun 27, 2011
US
Hi,

Looking to find out if any Avaya IP phone were to lose power (disconnect, etc) if I could have the phone setup to go to the login prompt instead of automatic logging in. 46xx file has the automatic login command which you can toggle but that forces it only if you log off not if you disconnect power. I currently can unplug and move to another network jack and the phone starts up ready to make calls. I don't want that. Maybe I am looking at it wrong as a login prompt and should look at loss of power forces a registration?

We have currently are going from 4600 model phones to the 96x1 models. So if the 96x1 model has a solution that the 4600 doesn't that would be helpful to know to.

Thanks,
Maacke

I found this, but don't think it will actually do what you're looking for. What you want sounds awfully inconvenient.

## QKLOGINSTAT specifies whether a password must always be entered manually at the login screen.
## Value Operation
## 0 Manual password entry is mandatory. (default for 96x0 SIP R2.0 - R2.5)
## 1 A "quick login" is allowed by pressing the # or Continue key.
## (default for H.323, 96x0 SIP R2.6+, and 96x1 SIP R6.0+)
## This parameter is supported by:
## 96x1 H.323 R6.0 and later
## 96x1 SIP R6.0 and later
## 96x0 H.323 R2.0 and later
## 96x0 SIP R2.0 and later
## SET QKLOGINSTAT 0

New England Communications

Hi,

Thank you but your suggestion only works if the user actually logs off of the phone manually. I am looking for a way if there is a disconnect/power cycle that the user is forced to login.

Currently Avaya allows the IP phone to move to any LAN port without any validation it is allowed to move. Example, I could have a user in California pickup his 96x1 phone, never logoff and travel to say Chicago office and plug it in to a port and the phone would work without even asking for a login prompt. Whom would know of the move without running a script every day to track address changes? 911 nightmare for 911 laws but more importantly we want to drive our users to use One-X mobile or desktop and eventually move them to the future of not having a physical phone at all. It also would prevent users from moving to offices that they weren't assigned to. Third disposing of an IP phone would require me to clear settings for every IP phone for it could reconnect to your LAN, possibly years later.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure how forcing a login would help you anyway in that case.

So the user moves the phone and logs back in, what's the difference with the phone logging itself in?

New England Communications

Hi,

Good question for I left that point out about our telephone admins control the security codes for each station. End users don't know the security code or better yet if they did hear the code they are confused with security code, AAC code, voicemail password, etc.

Thanks

Maybe a little late response,
I think you have to look at this from a security product angle rather than the voice.
Let your switches tell you what's going on, or better, control and log.
From the Avaya angle there is a product that is called identity engines.
I think this does exactly what you are looking for, but comes with a ROI challenge.

As surmised above, the current behaviour minimizes disruption in case of a loss of power. If you really want to lock a phone to a particular data port, then explore the possibility of setting a MAC <-> port restriction on your data switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back