Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Office Sips

Status
Not open for further replies.

seapro220

MIS
Feb 13, 2004
US
Hello all - tried to find some good info, but was too confused about the config needed.
Here's my situation..
Ip office 9.1.500.145
digital and sip phones working
sip phones are polycom - either IP201 or IP 331 modules. These have been configured 'manually' but as i've gotten over 15 now, burps and hickups in communication is getting kind of tiresome as i have others that 'try' to support this and fail with determining the ip, remoteing the device, then assigning the correct (generic) name to the device to get it back up.

i'm looking for a way to manage the SIP phones via the IPOffice server. dhcp for ip assignment needs to be handled externally as the phones are 'external' to this network. i'd like to configure the IPOffice server with the mac address info so whenever a request comes in from the 'remote side' it knows that this mac - is tied to this config - and this user. I know I've seen this material somewhere but am unsure about a good document, to get started with and hope someone has done this, and will pass along some links and suggestions. there needs to be multiple ftp settings also for the phones as i believe the Polycom 331 and 201 models have different firmware codes on them.

thanks in advance..

As another valuable member here always says "Doing it the cheap will cost you dear"
this applies for such a setup as Avaya does not provide provisioning for these phones.
You can try to setup your own provision server but that is beyond the scope of this forum.

agree with the before mentioned statements that you have to do that outside the IP Office.

You can't provision Polycom phones with the Avaya system just as you can't provision any other brand of phones with it.
Avaya is not in business to make other brand name phones compatible because that is (besides licensing) where they make money. They don't make money on selling phone system hardware.
But if I remember correctly the Polycom phones pull down a file named with their MAC address that can set all variables in it so theoretically you should be able to get that information into a TFTP server that serves the phones.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back