Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Office - Remote Worker handset connecting via Draytek router

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbie98

Technical User
Dec 14, 2012
GB
Hi all,

We've been trying to get a remote worker's handset connecting to our phone system but failed. The handset is a 9608 and the router at the main office is a Draytek 2860. We been trying to connect the handset via VPN but cannot get the handset to authenticate - we can see this via the logs on the router but cannot get any further.

Has anyone managed to get these handsets working with these routers and if you have how did you manage it?

Thanks,

Rob

I have never successfully got an Avaya phone to connect as a VPN phone to a Draytek router.

| ACSS SME |

The Draytek cannot do policy based VPN so can't be used for VPN phones :)

Draytek isn't that expensive.
Put one small Draytek VPN route rat the remoteworkers place and install a 1608 phone there. Works well.
I have one here in my home and the office is 75 miles from here so when the weather is to bad or in case of traffic jam I can work from home and it never failed me.

Many thanks for the reply guys,

I had a feeling that you we're going to reply along with something similar to that.

I have been told that I can Pass the HTTPS server through the router while locking it to the MAC Address of the phone handset - what would your view be on this?

Thanks,

Rob

I've found that troublesome with Draytek routers also, even though you forward the ports the Draytek interferes with the traffic. You also wont be able to filter it by MAC as that will not be passed to the router. While testing I had to place the system in a DMZ to get it to work and that's a big no no for anything even semi permanent. I haven't however tried since they released the setting to change the reg port.

Seriously router to router VPN is the only way to go here unless you enjoy pulling your hair out and losing a customer :)

Can the Draytek be replaced with a Netgear?

They do make models that work with the Avaya VPN software

If not then Draytek to Draytek is the way to go

Heck if the remote user does not need to move then it is the way to go anyway after all they probably need to connect there computer for a VPN so why not kill two birds with one stone?

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Great advise guys,

Unfortunately we have rolled out Draytek's to our main sites so it would be a pain to change the main router to a netgear or another brand. I agree that the best solution for us is now to use a site 2 site VPN with another Draytek for our remote workers to keep the security tight.

Cheers Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back