Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP office PRI through VPN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00s3

IS-IT--Management
Feb 15, 2024
US
Hey guys first time poster. I am currently have 2 remote offices with ip office r8 with PRI licensing. One office has an adtran sbc that converts sip to pri. I was wondering if I can connect that adtran PRI to a sonciwall and send that to the other office through a VPN tunnel to another sonicwall which than connects to the PRI?

Hey g00s3, welcome. I haven't been back here in many years myself. Primary Rate ISDN is a different communications technology so you won't be able to pass that via any IP link.

However, QSIG is the tcp equivalent to ISDN. You can connect multiple systems using QSIG. QSIG can operate over a tcp link such as a vpn without issues. But you need to have a spare PRI interface to do this at office 1 (1 for PRI, 1 for QSIG). Just change the settings for the PRI interface.

2nd option would be to create a H323 trunk to the other PBX. H323 is also a tcp communications layer and simple to setup on the ip office.

However, in your setup, might be just easier to create either a SCN between the 2 sites, therefore needing an SCN license on each site.

Another option is to create a SIP trunk from site 1 to site 2, allowing the other side to dial out aswell as internal calling.

A final option would be to setup a new sip user account on the Adtran box, license and register site 2 to this new sip account. In the Adtran route incoming calls to both PRI and SIP account, allow dialing out from both.

Hope that helps somewhat. If it was me I'd tell the customer to get the SCN license and experience the full feature setup without compromise. It would be a sound investment.

Dave

Also to add onto Dave's great post, it's important to note that to use QSIG over PRI on the IP Office you still need a voice networking license - so you might as well just use SCN.

SCN is the way to go but as you're running R8 you'll need to upgrade to get the licenses if you don't have them already.

Thanks for the info! Just to clarify, if we connect the 2 sites via SCN one site can share the call paths of the sbc to another site that doesn't have an sbc?

Yes you can. I do exactly that - my primary 500 sends external calls via the SBC (Avaya ASBCE), the secondary 500 sends calls to the primary over SCN which then routes over the SBC.

Sweet! Thanks Shaun! The main site has the licensing so this will perfectly. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back