Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya H.323 Remote phones 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapestew

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2014
US
Good day Mates. I am setting up remote phones with a client and am having a bit of an issue. I have went through the Avaya documentation and followed everything step by step. As seen below. I get to the login screen, can enter EXT and password. When it connects it shows the main screen like you'd see in normal off hook status then it goes to "registering" and repeats. It never actually shows the programmed buttons on the main screen though. Any suggestions on why it would fail to register>?

"User Network Configuration

It is assumed that the domestic router allows all outbound traffic from the home network to pass through and allows all symmetric traffic. That is, if the phone sends RTP/RTCP to a public IP address and port, it will be able to receive RTP/RTCP from that same IP address and port. If this is not the case, the configuration of the user's router to support that is not covered by this documentation.

System Configuration

This is a summary of the system configuration changes necessary. Additional details and information for H.323 telephone installation are included in the H.323 IP Telephone Installation manual. This section assumes that you are already familiar with IP Office system and H.323 IP telephone installation.

1. Licensing
For non-Server Edition systems, by default only 4 users can be configured for remote H.323 extension usage. Additional users can be configured if those additional users are licensed and configured with either Teleworker or Power User user profiles. On Server Edition systems remote workers can only be configured for users licensed and set to the Power User user profile.

2. System Configuration
The following needs to be configured on the IP Office system LAN interface to which the public IP address is routed.

a. Select System | LAN1/LAN2 | VoIP. Check that the H.323 Gatekeeper Enable setting is selected.

b. Due to the additional user and extension settings needed for remote H.323 extension configuration, we assume that the extension and user records for the remote H.323 extensions and users are added manually.

c. Select H.323 Remote Extn Enable.

d. Set the RTP Port Number Range (Remote Extn) range to encompass the port range that should be used for remote H.323 extension RTP and RTCP traffic. The range setup must provide at least 2 ports per extension being supported.

• Note: When the system is configured on an open internet connection, the standard RTP port range is used for all H.323 calls including remote workers. In such a case the RTP Port Number Range is used.

3. Network Topology Configuration
STUN can be used to determine the type of NAT/firewall processes being applied to traffic between between the IP Office system and the Internet.

a. Select the Network Topology tab. Set the STUN Server IP Address to a known STUN server. Click OK. The Run STUN button should now be enabled. Click it and wait while the STUN process is run. The results discovered by the process will be indicated by ! icons next to the fields.

b. If STUN reports the Firewall/NAT Type as one of the following, the network must be reconfigured if possible as these types are not supported for remote H.323 extensions: Static Port Block, Symmetric NAT or Open Internet.

4. H.323 Extension Configuration
H.323 remote extensions use non default settings and so cannot be setup directly using auto-create.

a. Within Manager, add a new H.323 extension or edit an existing extension.

b. On the Extn tab, set the Base Extension number.

c. On the VoIP tab, select Allow Remote Extn.

d. The other settings are as standard for an Avaya H.323 telephone.

• The IP Address field can be used to restrict the the source IP address that can used by the Remote Worker. However, it should not used in the case where there is more than one phone behind the domestic router.

• Regardless of direct media configuration, direct media is not used for remote H.323 extensions.

5. User Configuration
For non-Server Edition systems, by default only 4 users can be configured for remote H.323 extension usage. Additional users can be configured if those additional users are licensed and configured with either Teleworker or Power User user profiles.

a. In the user configuration, select Enable Remote Worker.

• If the user's Extension Number matches the Base Extension setting of an IP extension, the Allow Remote Extn setting of that extension is automatically changed to match the user's Enable Remote Worker setting and vice versa.

What kind of router is there on the IPO side and on the customer side?

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Peter,

I have a 1 to 1 NAT pointing to my IPO. It is an ASA 5505. I have the UDP 1719, TCP 1720, UDP/RTP ports 49152-23246, ICMP, and UDP/SIP (5060).

I am on the DMZ on the remote side for now for testing. Its possible my ISP is blocking ICMP. I need to verify this with them.

Put this line in the the user "NoUser" source number field:

REMOTE_H323=1800

This will change the port 1720 to 1800.
Cisco does not like to use port 1720 somehow.
You need to change your port forwarding too ofcourse.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Peter,

You hit the nail on the head!! You know what's weird? We use an ASA 5510 and have no issues using port 1720. Our ASA 5505 at the clients location does not seem to like that particular port. It could have something to do with the Software versions as well. Anyways, thanks for the insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back