Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya / Extreme / Juniper VLAN trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCaptObvious

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2022
US
I currently have my Avaya network (own network - only PRI and T1) and my data network on separate networks and switches. We are moving into VOIP only from out current digital and analog service. I was able to get VOIP calling to work on my standalone Avaya network, as long as I put in the static information into the IP phone - I'm really hoping to figure out how to get DHCP to work on the phones so I don't have to program each individual phone. My Avaya network was installed with 2 (stacked) Extreme Switch 4950s and are working as they stand - on its own network. However, I have new Juniper switches going in for my data network and the company would like to integrate VOIP along with data. Essentially they want to only use one drop for both the data network and VOIP network. Because these 2 networks are currently independent of each other, I am looking for ways to connect my current Avaya setup - stacked ERS4950s - to allow access to VOIP through the new data switches. Could I use an access port from the new switch and create a VLAN trunk to the Avaya Switch, let's say port 45?

My new data network switches were programmed with access ports associating VLAN - 30 for voice and VLAN - 50 for Data.

If I create a VLAN trunk in my Avaya 4950 on port 45, would the data network request VOIP services through associated ports, given they have the correct VLANs allowed on the requesting port?

I'll try to clear up information if needed. I'm trying to grasp VOIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back