Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya ERS Switches 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg11

MIS
Dec 8, 2004
US
I know this is not IP Office office question but having trouble finding feedback on Avaya ERS switches.

We ordered and received 2 Avaya 3524GT switches for new new IP500 deployment. One is the PoE version and the other is the non-PoE version. I powered them up and the fans sounds weird. The ERS3524GT-PWR has a very slight rattling sound. Both are brand new and both switches' fans "pulsate" is the best I can describe the sound. There may be another internal fan located on the opposite side of the fans you can see that may be the culprit....not sure.

Do these ERS switches normally sound this way? The fans appear to be working fine and no alarms. We have never used the ERS switches before and need a second opinion before I condemn them both.

I am hesitant to deploy them but am under project time constraints and may have to deploy and then later deal with fan issues if they arise. I know these switches have a lifetime warranty which is really nice.

All input much appreciated.

The fans rattle. They sound like a pea in a small drum. You can't hear them in a comms room.

daddy? are you doing blah blah blah things again?

I took our in-house one apart and disconnected half the fans. Been 5+ years

I have been using/installing data switches since the early 90s but not much in the past 5 years or so......so I don't know what the newer ones are sounding like. I guess this is normal as most, if not all (cooling fans), are made in china. I hope they last like yours do dbuxon101.

The "pulsations" of the fans has me worried more than the rattling as this may indicate a power supply issue. I moved the power cords to different feeds (120v ac) and no change, even on good ups with power conditioner. This pulsation may be normal as I see the newer switches are designed to be quieter than the older switches.....not sure.

I left them running in our lab for a few days and will check to see if they fail or get noisier....will post back findings.

Thanks all!

These fans sounds like the Cisco ones when they are ready to give out but the Avaya (Nortel) ones will sound like this for years to come.
Have installed my first ones in 2012 and they are still running and sound still the same.
These switches are just taken from Nortel and re-branded so they are old and the only thing they did was update the firmware.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

I will try to post a video or audio file.
Glad to hear that this is "normal" sounding for these switches Westi. Best I can describe the "pulsating" is that all the fans in the PoE switch (5 fans) slow down and speed up together every 2-3 seconds. The non-PoE ERS switch does the same and has 1 fan. As I am also educated as an Electronics Engineer I would almost diagnose this as a power supply issue, but obviously not the case as all the fans pulsate on both switches.

I have 3 on my bench right now, Yes, they are loud.

If vegetarians love animals so much, why are they eating all of their food?

Wow, great feature Karlzre. Is this feature available on the ERS3524-PWR switches? I will look when I get time. These switches will be in a comm closet with good air conditioning so noise is not main concern (the noise bothers me as it indicates premature switch failures). The lifetime warranty is great but we need switches that will last 5-10 years without failure. I think the ERS switches will be fine here.

Follow up:

I ordered and powered up a third ERS 3524-PWR switch and the fans sound like they have dry bearings and rattle too. I also left 2 other ERS switches running to for 4-5 days and no issues, just noisy fans. So in conclusion, the fans on the ERS 3500 series switches are noisy from factory. I am not sure about other ERS series switches.

Avaya/Nortel could have been more strict by specifying better (quiet) fans during their design process.....imho.

They couldn't care less about such things, just look at the state of the fan on the UCM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back